Fiji , drink Kava?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had three bowls at a ceremony a couple years ago - it made my lips numb and that night I had really strange dreams. Other than that - no effects. Others in our party refused the kava and the locals did not seem to be offended at all.

I tried it looking for a buzz, nothing. It looks like dishwater and tastes like dirt. That being said, the ceremony gives you a little bit of feeling part of the culture. Bula

That about sums it up, except the little "dish rag" they used to wipe around the bowl and squeeze the liquid back out into it. All in all not very hygienic.....
No buzz whatsoever, but my mouth did get a little numb for a while.

It's not a beer, it's just kava. Requires more than a single bowl. And dirty dish water is better because it doesn't tend to have actual dirt in it like kava. But you can refuse if you like. But drinking it tends to improve your singing...

Tastes and looks like dirty YooHoo (I don't know if anyone non-American would know this or even if they make it anymore!). I've had plenty. Makes my lips numb but could never drink enough to feel anything other than that. I agree the stuff they give to tourists is probably way watered down. But to be afraid to at least try it? Wow. Sad.

I tried it looking for a buzz, nothing. It looks like dishwater and tastes like dirt. That being said, the ceremony gives you a little bit of feeling part of the culture. Bula

agree-------notta nuttin------maybe it was the dishwater though they served us @ Beqa Lagoon Resort?????---that nite.??

Tried it a couple times with ceremonies...tastes muddy....slight tingling maybe....very mild euphoria or could be party situation. On list of things that are dangerous it seems about level with a strong latte. Booze is what will get you...statistically.

I was curious about it and tried it. It was very mild. I think I get more of an effect out of a cup of coffee than I did from that kava. The closest I felt to "euphoria" was a mild sense of satisfaction that I was experiencing a bit of, albeit touristy, Fijian culture.

My girlfriend at the time was up in arms over me experimenting with a "drug," but the experience made me realize that if one believes caffeine is not a drug, then they should logically not consider kava a drug either.

Ok everyone, Thanks for all of the replies.
Went there, tried it, no problem. The ceremony was very interesting from a cultural standpoint. We also learned that almost every social occasion, business deal etc. in Fiji is prefaced by a bowl. Had no idea that the use was so widespread. Guess I need to get out more....LOL

Skip

QUOTE: What is known as "tourist" kava is pretty weak stuff. IMO you would have to drink the entire bowl full to notice any affects. It tastes like dirty dish water.

I have to agree with this comment, we tried it a few times in our resort hotel on Fiji and it just looked and tasted foul, and pretty much had no effect. I also bought the 'take away' kava and bowl set from the local shop for use back home (yes, you can legally bring this in through Australian customs, but if you bring an apple supplied from the meal on your flight then be prepared to pay a fine of over $500.. don't figure). Anyway back to my point I tried it with my friends back home and the effect was again pretty much nothing. There must be a stronger 'local' brew as Frosty mentions in his post, otherwise I seriously wonder why they would even bother to drink it in the first place.

QUOTE: What is known as "tourist" kava is pretty weak stuff. IMO you would have to drink the entire bowl full to notice any affects. It tastes like dirty dish water.

I have to agree with this comment, we tried it a few times in our resort hotel on Fiji and it just looked and tasted foul, and pretty much had no effect. I also bought the 'take away' kava and bowl set from the local shop for use back home (yes, you can legally bring this in through Australian customs, but if you bring an apple supplied from the meal on your flight then be prepared to pay a fine of over $500.. don't figure). Anyway back to my point I tried it with my friends back home and the effect was again pretty much nothing. There must be a stronger 'local' brew as Frosty mentions in his post, otherwise I seriously wonder why they would even bother to drink it in the first place.
Ive been lucky enough o be invited to share real kava on Fiji day. THAT is a whole different experience.You feel Just fine till you try to walk. Then notice someone has taken the bones out of your legs.No addictive qualities I noticed.Slept really well that night

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom