Fiji (Nadi) recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

daptonema

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm on a work trip in Nadi and have a free weekend (late Friday to Sunday afternoon). I had intended on diving with one of the groups in Nadi but have just heard that the diving is not great on this part of the island. I don't want to waste my money diving here if it's not worth it but on the other hand I don't want to spend time and money driving across the island if there are some good options locally (ideally within reasonable taxi fare of Nadi).
I don't have any kit with me (except mask).
Any thoughts appreciated.

Hi
Well I agree that the diving is not fabulous in the nearby sites to Nadi. Not bad, but there is better. :crafty:
Closest operator to you with reasonable stuff is Scuba Bula about 20 mins in a taxi, but cheaper in a minibus. I've not dived with these chaps but they get a good press.

Possibly better, but further, is Volivoli from where you can get out to the Vatu-i-Ra passage and some truly awesome dives. Now they don't go there every day but even the local sites are good. Give Steve a call and tell him I sent you. :)
You can get to Volivoli on public transport by going to Rakiraki and getting a taxi from there, but the resort will advise on the best method as they may have their own transport running. Takes about 2 hours to get there from Nadi.

You can go the other way towards Suva and dive Beqa or do the shark dive with Aquatrek. Stay there at Uprising. Travel on the Coral Sun or Sunbeam tourist bus, costs about FJ$20 and takes around 3 hours.

Hope that helps, but drop me a line if you want more info.

Cheers
Greg

Thanks Greg,
I spoke to Scuba Bula yesterday and that's the direction I was leaning. Is the diving at Volivoli that much better? I'm not sure if it is feasible/worth it for a day trip.
I'm quite relieved that I didn't go with one of the Nadi operators which is what I had intended!
Adam

Well I haven't dived at Scuba Bula's sites but I have dived the Vatu-i-Ra and it is deservedly rated as one of Fiji's best. Big walls, very clear water and lots of big fish. Very difficult to do as a day trip given the 2 1/2 hours each way and the fact you need to be there for 8am... Worth going there on Friday night and diving Saturday. FJ$30 for a dorm bed. Very presentable accommodations. Have to bear in mind they might not be going to Vatu-i-Ra every day so best to check if you decide to go.

Cheers
Greg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom