Fiji - Need Island / Cruise Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diana5531

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
HI !
My husband and I going to Fiji for 2 weeks in Jan 06. Given the following:
- Avid 20 year divers, but can't dive every day due to ears,
- When not diving, love snorkeling/pristine beaches
- Due to work travel, we don't like to spot hop, but like exploring a place
- First trip to Fiji, but likely not only

After research, I've decided that we want to do a Blue Lagoon cruise through the Yasawas as part of this, then do a resort on Tavelini or Beqa or Kadavu.

Do we: do the week Dive cruise through Blue Lagoon, then 1 resort for the remainder 13 days ? If so, which island ?

Or Do the 4/3 B.L. cruise, with perhaps 2 different resorts ?

Diana5531:
HI !

After research, I've decided that we want to do a Blue Lagoon cruise through the Yasawas as part of this, then do a resort on Tavelini or Beqa or Kadavu.

Do we: do the week Dive cruise through Blue Lagoon, then 1 resort for the remainder 13 days ? If so, which island ?

Based on what I've heard, you'll be disappointed in the Yasawas. The diving in the eastern Bligh Water near Vatui-I-Ra, the passage between Viti Levu and Vanua Levu, seems to be much better. Crystal Divers used to be the operator of choice for diving there, but the death of its owner has scotched that. I've heard that Kai Viti Divers operating out of Wananavu Resort is a good choice; the resort is a nice one.

On the down side, Wananavu is remotely located near Rakiraki and doesn't have a spectacular beach. Although on Viti Levu, the same island as the international airport at Nadi, Rakiraki is at the northern tip of Viti Levu is distant from most "touristy" places. However, check out both the resort and the dive operation on the Internet to satisfy yourselves.

Hi,

My husband and I are going to fiji next month and haven't finalized any details yet.
Any suggestions?
We're looking at Beqa Resort, Kulu, or Lalati all on Beqa Island. plse let me know if you have been to any and your comments? Also, we like to dive and surf!

Also, we may have an extra week to spend on another island...any suggestions?

Thanks!
J

Diana5531:
HI !

Diana5531-Unfortunately,now that Dan Grenier has passed on-you've missed the best of what Fiji has to offer as far as hard core diving-and I mean hard core. But an even more beautiful setting with also spectacular (and more relaxed) diving is Namena Island-only 6 bures on the entire Island-I think there's about that many beaches too-great birds to watch snorkeling ,kayaking-and the food and staff will make you think you are in heaven...hmmm.. :wink: ...you are....Peace...Saildivers.

jlien05:
Hi,

My husband and I are going to fiji next month and haven't finalized any details yet.
Any suggestions?
We're looking at Beqa Resort, Kulu, or Lalati all on Beqa Island. plse let me know if you have been to any and your comments? Also, we like to dive and surf!

Also, we may have an extra week to spend on another island...any suggestions?

Thanks!
J
If you like to dive,I highly recommend Namena Island-See above post....Peace...Saildivers.

I'll look Yamana island, is there enough esle to do for those of use that can't dive every single day ? Snorkeling, exploring, jungle treking, etc. Because of my business, I am also very much into the flora and fauna of a location......(LOVE RAINFORESTS!!)

Has anyone stayed at Papageno resort ??? or Beqa Lagoon Resort ???

THANKS for all your help !!

We did a trip to Taveuni and then a sailboat charter through the Yasawa Islands, seeing Musket Cove and Mana Island.

I would highly recommend the sailboat charter. It's you, the Captain, first mate and excellent chef. We hooked up with the resorts to do the diving. They come out to your anchored sailboat and bring you back to it. You do nothing but kick back and enjoy. Sail. Eat. Snorkel. Swim. Dive. That's it. We paid $350 a person per day which adding up is competitive versus transport, hotel, food, alcohol together, besides the totally personal service you get. No seasickness at all.

We really enjoyed the Islands. Was it the best dive in the world? Probably not, but they were still awesome with sharks and large morays and batfish, etc. We did Supermarket with the sharks, etc. The divemasters were great and the resort is run by Japanese who we find to be the most fun and well organized. Very laid back and Fijians are great, happy people.

Diana5531:
HI !

Yes, I've did an over-look whe I first started trying to nail this trip down, and now I'm going through again. Been through the pre-tour thread set. Best thing about that is I finally found a place to get some cool new skins ! (http://www.divegoddess.com) Gotta order some for this trip.

I know I'll have more ??? Once I get through you reports, and was condiersing of emailing you directly. but since you've noticed this, it would be great to make this info all more public for future reference.

BTW, we have decided on the 3/4 Blue Lagoon cruise for the experience and incredible snorkeling (or so we hear). Also, when I'm down in Akumal for a month (Aug-Sept), I'm going to push my ears and see what I can do. That's assuming I'm not doing not doinhg re-hab on my condo after Emily !

Cheers, Diana

Uncle Pug:
If you haven't yet, check out my threads and article on the Fiji trip I took last fall. We covered 13 facilities in 11 days.
Article with links and pictures.

Daily Blog with links and pictures detailing the trip.

Pre-trip discussion thread... just for context.

saildiver:
Diana5531-Unfortunately,now that Dan Grenier has passed on-you've missed the best of what Fiji has to offer as far as hard core diving-and I mean hard core. But an even more beautiful setting with also spectacular (and more relaxed) diving is Namena Island-only 6 bures on the entire Island-I think there's about that many beaches too-great birds to watch snorkeling ,kayaking-and the food and staff will make you think you are in heaven...hmmm.. :wink: ...you are....Peace...Saildivers.

Hard core! Not beginner (although he'd take 'em and babysit 'em) diving, but hardly hard core. Challenging, exciting, and good aerobic exercise at times, but never hard core.

FWIW, from what I've heard, Kai Viti Divers now offers very similar experiences. out of Wananavu Resort.

Back
Top Bottom