Fiji Newbie

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaeckert

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am a brand new rookie leaving the states for the first time this April (to Fiji) and I don't have a clue what I need for a wetsuit. I started out thinking a 2mm would be fine but after spending 3 months in the Florida keys (diving daily) and getting cold in a 2/3mm Velocity Bare full wetsuit when the water was at 78f(low end) I am starting to second guess myself.
I have Waterproof W1 5mm that I am quite comfortable in 74f but seems a bit extreme (both for temp as well as weight{airlines}). I am considering a Waterproof W3 3.5mm (because the W30 2.5mm won't be released in time). Is this still too much? Is this really that different from the W1 5mm.?
I would really like some real life experience feed-back.
Thank you for taking the time to share your insights.
Joel

We dived in Fiji for a week in July last year. Temps were consistently 79f. I was diving in board shorts and a long sleeve 'sharkskin' thermal top. It's is supposedly as warm as a three mm wetsuit top. My wife was diving a 3mm shortie, with her thermal top on underneath, while others there were diving 5mm full lengths.

It's hard to really say what you will be comfortable in, but if I was going again and had a choice I'd dive a 3mm sortie first, then a full length 3mm.

Weight is a big consideration if you have internal flights. We were limited to 12kg each.

The diving, and holidaying in general in Fiji is awesome. Make sure you have a SMB and learn to launch it from your safety stop if you can. They have some big currents out there. Also, I would never dive there without DAN insurance. It is a long way away from anywhere and evacuation would be hugely expensive.

The diving was excellent, and the people are the nicest I have ever come across. It's a very friendly place. Enjoy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom