Fiji on a budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nickibeth

Registered
Reaction score
hey everyone.

Let me start by saying that it's been great reading people's posts about where to go and not go in Fiji for diving, and while I would absolutly love to do a live-aboard or pamper myself on a nice resort, I am a student trying to do as much of the best stuff as possible for as little as possible. From the research I've done I've found these places that are in my range:

Viti Levu
Bequa Divers
Dive Tropex
Ra Divers

Vanua Levu
Eco Divers

Taveuni
Aquaventure

or

Lomaiviti
Ovalau Watersports

I was wondering if anyone had any +/- experiances with any of these, or recomendations for better places still within that price range. I've got my advanced o.w. and have done about 15 dives. Also, I'll be in Fiji the begining of June and wanting to do a week or so of diving.

Thanks guys,
Nik

Hi Nik,

I've been to many of the venues that you have mentioned.

As you have mentioned Ra Divers on the main island (Specifically, it's up in the NE of Viti Levu, in Rakiraki), let me suggest that you look into Crystal Divers http://www.crystaldivers.com/index.shtml just a bit across the channel on Nananu-I-Ra Island. Can see it clearly from Ra Divers dock. IMHO, it is a far superior dive op.

Problem with this area is reasonable lodging. Not lots of choices. Most folks stay at the Wananavu Resort, or rental homes, and it's pricely.

The owner of Crystal Divers, Dan Grenier is a friend of mine. Contact him & tell him I sent you. Explain your situation to him. He may be able to work something out.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Hi Nik -

If you really want *cheap*, try this...

Take a bus from Nadi or Suva to Pacific Harbor and dive Beqa lagoon. Stay at the Pacific Safari Club across the street from the Centra resort. It's clean and comfy, and probably the best deal in Fiji ($17US/night when I was there last year). See my posting, http://www.scubaboard.com/t4962/s.html

Have them book your diving at Dive Connections, a short walk away, and get the backpacker rate ($60FIJI=$30US for 2 dives and lunch). If you do this, you should probably bring your own gear.

Beqa isn't always as spectacular as some other places around Fiji, but it has a pleasant mix of stuff and can be quite good. If you decide to dive around Nananui-Ra with Ra or Crystal Divers, you might be able to stay at one of the backpacker resorts on Nananui-Ra itself and have the dive operation pick you up there in the mornings (check with them about this). That would be a lot cheaper than staying at Wananavu, which is nice but expensive.

Have fun!

g2

I have dived with these guys on and off for about 2years and call 'em my Fiji friends. They are from Arizona, a father (Ray), wife (Nancy), and son (Ray), and they run a dive op called Waidroka Dive Surf Resort ( See their Website at:-www.dive-surf-fiji.com.fj/). They are right on the waters edge on the Coral Coast, in fact I bought a piece of land up the hill from them.

The resort has a shared dorm (Budget) a small Bure without ensuite and 3 luxury Bures. So there is something to suite your budget there.

The restaurant/Jungle Bar is straight out of Gilligans Island.

Tell Ray Senior that Brian in Sydney sent you and you'll get well looked after, and tell him he owes me another Fiji Gold Beer;-)

Ray Senior is shown in the bottom left image on theWebsite (Blue T-Shirted guy).

BTW: Nancy makes the best 'Flapjacks & Maple Syrup' in Viti Levu.

They will pick you up from Nadi if desired, you'll love the place I assure you.

DSAO

AusWiz

Nickibeth:
Thanks for the info people. I'm definatly checking in to the Waidruka bay resort.

Nic

Any info on Waidruka Bay Resort? After reading this thread I'm considering this place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom