Fiji - Savusavu dive operations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KeithM

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm planning a trip to Fiji in July and will be staying near Savusavu for a week. I'm looking for feedback on the dive operators there. I think there are three - Jean Michel Cousteau, Koro Sun Dive and Rock 'n' Downunder. The first two have websites but I can't find anything for Rock 'n' Downunder so any comments would be very helpful.

I've been to Savusavu quite a few times (although not since '06) and have not heard of Rock n Downunder. Koro Sun Dive is a very solid operation. It is separate from the Resort across the street which has a great spa. A good place to hang out with the local dive staff is a little place called Yau Kolo. It's a camp-ground resort, but they have the cheapest beer around, plus the owners are pretty cool.......... For a real 'colonial' experience, go sign in at the Planters Club and have a cold beverage. The local ex-pats have some great stories from the old days.

Happy Travels.

Hey, so glad you enjoyed your time with us, and also enjoyed the local post diving entertainments! Maybe we'll see you back here one day! Bula vinaka, the KSD Team.

So Keith, remind us...did you end up diving with us? If so drop us a line letting us know how you found it all! Bula Vinaka the KSD Team, Colin, J-9, Michael, Isaac

There are 3 solid dive operators (Koro Sun, Cousteau and Namale) around Savusavu, and occasionally others come and go. Of the 3 main dive operators, both Koro Sun and Namale offer trips to both Namena and Somosomo, while Cousteau goes to Namena but not Somosomo (these excursions are generally made as premium dives in addition to the local diving around Savusavu, but generally not as regularly scheduled dives for weather and other reasons). I’m not aware of any other dive operations currently in service in the area, but it is not impossible. However, in the past these operations have not had the resources to visit the more remote sites. All 3 of these operators are very good, and spread out from one another so at least one should be fairly convenient no matter where you are staying.

ahhh the convenience of this post is astonishing haha. i am actually headed up to SavuSavu not this weekend but next weekend. I'm looking to do 2-3 days of diving and was curious to know about the diving around Namena, how long does it take to get there? whats the diving like? does it compare to the Somo Somo straigh/rainbow reef? been dying to dive the rainbow reef and was in Taveuni like 3 weeks ago but decided not to get wet since it hadn't quite been a month since a suspected bend that i never received treatment. oh well. any help is appreciated. Vinaka!!!

Namena is a marine reserve and the diving is excellent. Although somewhat different from that in Somosomo, it is equally as good if not even more diverse. Namena has walls, swim throughs, reefs, bommies, pinnacles, etc., and tons of marine life from macro to wide angle. Jean-Michel Cousteau rates Namena as the best dive area in Fiji. The liveaboards visit Namena far more frequently than Somosomo. The boat ride can vary substantially depending on where you start out (Cousteau is the closest - other than Namena Resort itself), Koro Sun the farthest), the weather and sea conditions (it is an open crossing of about 25 miles), etc. You should expect at least 50 minutes to an hour each way on a good day, but be prepared for a (sometimes much) longer ride.

Unfortunately our website is down for maintainence, but check out our facebook group named KoroSun Dive, I 've put a few posts up about our recent trips to the Somosomo Straits and Namena. :O) J-9

So Keith, remind us...did you end up diving with us? If so drop us a line letting us know how you found it all! Bula Vinaka the KSD Team, Colin, J-9, Michael, Isaac

Since you've dredged up this rather old post....

Do you go to Somosomo straights and Namena regularly now? When I dived with you both were out of reach of the boat you had at the time.

Sure! We now have 3 boats, all of which are quite able to cope with the trips to both Namena and Somosomo. It does of course depend on weather and numbers, but lately, we seem to be doing a bi weekly trip to each!

In Sept we also had the wonderful experience of humpback whales, pilot whales and dolphins while doing Namena (which is amazing in itself!) - we had an amazing day and some absolutely gob-smacked guests!

Went to Somosomo last week (have a guest who has been diving with us for 4 weeks heading back there for another go at the wall) and Namena is planned for Weds this week - altho the weather is not so great, it will be hard trip, but we have a group of 9 ready to go, so we're looking forward to it.

Unfortunately our website os down for maintenance, but we are a group on facebook, so check out facebook KoroSundive group.

Yours in Diving, J-9 and the KSD team :O)

Back
Top Bottom