Fiji Suggestions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba kbell

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am just starting to plan a Fiji trip for January and am pretty overhelmed on deciding the details. I am planning on going for about 2 weeks and I want to divide it up so that I can see a few different areas. We like to be able to go to the beach besides diving. I was thinking about staying on the Coral Coast one week and the second week Taveuni or Savusavu area. How is the diving along the Coral Coast?

Does anyone have any suggestions on dive ops/places to stay? Are there any condos/places that have kitchens so that we wouldn't always have to go out to eat?

Does anyone know if the Air Pacific sale buy 1 get 1 50% off was extended past Sept 30th? (it has been extended before)

Any other suggestions?

Hi
Quick reply.
Coral coast diving is not the best in Fiji with the exception of Beqa lagoon. Have a look at Beqa lagoon resort or if you want to stay on the main land you can stay at Uprising or Club Oceanus. You would then dive with Aquatrek or Beqa Adventure Divers.

Taveuni offers some of the best Fiji diving. Loads of resorts there just decide on the price really. Good value can be Garden Island - ask about special deals for divers. At the bargain end is Dolphin Bay Divers. They all dive the same spots including the White Wall and Rainbow Reef.

Bear in mind you need an internal flight to get to Taveuni so you will most likely lose a days diving at the end of the trip. Also ote you need to book these flights early to get a reasonable rate and also as the planes are small they can fill up. If you go to Beqa first, you should fly from Suva (Nausori) rather than Nadi. It is a little cheaper and closer to Beqa so cheaper and quicker transfers.

Liveaboards are the best option for great diving. 2 main options here, Naia and Peter Hughes.

I hope that helps. Let me know if you want more details or other suggestions.

Cheers
Greg

My husband and I have been to Fiji 6 times to various dive places. If you want to email me, I would be happy to share some of our experiences. We are returning this Christmas to Taveuni. My email address is jmorben@bis.midco.net

check out bligh waters and stay at wananavu is my heads up. going back in december. real nice resort for relaxing, great diving and they do trips to the islands too for your own beach - way cool. coral coast diving ok but january will be pretty wet down there. think air pac deal on until dec 31 for travel thru mar 31.

I dove in Levuka 2 years ago and it was a very warm and nice small town. Diving around Ovalau was really good, very nice hard coral and also pelagics can usually be found in dive sites like Levuka Passage and the Pipeline.
They also offer dives around Wakaya and it was where we saw manta rays and hammerhead sharks.
Levuka is a bit rusty, but I love it wholeheartedly.

Hi Scuba KBell - We've been to Fiji 8 times and have our 9th trip planned. Greg gave you some great advice - if you want really good diving, skip the Coral Coast. And if you want to do a lot of diving, you will lose dive days by changing resorts, especially if you fly. When we go, our focus is diving so we don't change resorts.

With the exception of Rakiraki area (Wananavu and Volivoli resorts), the diving near the island of Viti Levu is not that great. There tends to be a lot more runoff from rain around Viti Levu than the smaller islands. Beqa diving is good but the weather closer to Suva is rainier and rain runoff definitely impacts viz inside Beqa Lagoon. The Rainbow Reef off Taveuni is very good - mostly drift diving due to currents but the soft corals there are amazing. Kadavu has great diving too. But Both Taveuni and Kadavu require flights. We didn't think the diving was as good in the Yasawas or Mamanucas but their advantage is that you can get there without an airplane ride. A less-known dive destination is Naigani Island. It's not fancy but the diving was excellent and we never saw another dive boat in 20+ days of diving on two different trips. You get there by flying to Suva, then having a 90-minute van ride and a half hour boat ride.

When booking at any Fiji resort, enquire whether they allow diving on Sundays - the chiefs of some islands don't. Also, if you aren't bringing your own gear, some resorts have fairly new and well-maintained gear and others have scary gear. After our first trip to Fiji, we decided to always take our own gear to Fiji.

You asked about kitchens - there were kitchens at Volivoli and Naigani. You'd need to bring any food you wanted to cook to Naigani as there is no store. There are a few small stores in Rakiraki about 10-15 minutes drive from Volivoli -but we usually just buy the resort's meal plans and eat there. They're generally reasonably priced and so much easier. Plus if you are on a small island, they are often the only place to eat.

Finally, we always take any over the counter or prescription medicines we might need including cold remedies, anti-biotic ointment, anti-diarrhea meds, etc.

Virtually all of the islands that have diving have great beaches so you don't have to do either beaches or diving. The smaller islands give you a better feel for the "real" Fiji and usually offer village visits, Meke dances, Lovo feasts, etc. But the remote islands are pretty quiet so if you like nightlife, the coral coast or Denarau could be a better option.

I hope this helps you - if you have questions, you can PM me.

Cindy

I satyed last year a week a Bequa lagoon and then flew south to Kadavu and stayed at Matava Eco resort the secound week. The diving at both were great. Had real good encounters with pelagica at Matava. Mantas, humpbacks.

I have just returned from fiji, spent a week diving out of Savusavu with the Cousteau Resort although I didn't stay there. Most dives were in rain, dark skies. We never made it to Namena, too rough. Mary was a good divemaster, another fellow not as good. There was a bit of slackness with the many Fijians who work there, I had to chase up my mask and fins although they were promised to be dropped off. There are dive deals with Daku Resort; if you stay there you can eat in town, several local places, or buy some of your own food at the market or supermarket. Daku has some accommodation with cooking facilities.
meta

Back
Top Bottom