Fiji Trip Report - Matangi Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I didn't but I googled a bit and found this for ya

By Ferry...
Thanks - we knew about these ferries, and talked to the Fiji people at the Scuba Show in Long Beach the other weekend. Nobody ever seems to be able to reach anyone in the Grace ferry office, so we haven't been able to find schedule, or even confirm the boat is in service right now. Greg (Fiji Diver here) has tried without success. Since we have to get from Matangi to the Koro Sun resort on Savusavu on a specific day, we figure our worst case option is chartering a boat between islands, but that's not our first choice. We'll have some time when we get to Matangi to figure out logistics - just trying to avoid any surprises up front

You could also try and email matangi resort and see if they have any info. They people that work there are so friendly and really go out of their way to make your stay enjoyable. It almost feels like you got friends serving your meals and cleaning your buro.

Oh and you get free laundy services everyday at matangi so you don't need to pack much cloths.

Worst case senario Geoff you can organise a water taxi.They island hop frequently -or as you say theres always the resorts launch. I'm guessing (perhaps incorrectly) you are heading out to Matangi from Denerau.-Or are you catching a chopper/seaplane to the resort? ANYHOO of you are heading out from Denerau You'll likely have a half hour or so wait there. Plenty of time to organise the transfer.
I know its frustrating getting info out of Fiji because everybodies so laid back and chilled.--Ohh and hey have a good time dude

When is everyone going to be in that area? I am currently in Vanuatu (Espiritu Santo) diving and will be heading to Fiji the 21-28th, but haven't really made any plans for diving. Been reading up here for suggestions, so if anyone is looking for a diving buddy, let me know! (I am a budget traveler, so I'm not sure if some of these resorts are in my price range!)

:) Charlotte

NO night dives from Matgangi Resort? Too much boozing or are there bad currents? In the Maldives I regretted that in 10 days we could only night dive once from a LOB.

there is night dives, just you have to bring your own lights. When you get there and meet Ally just ask her about night dives, since bale doesn't do them. Also unless I am remebering wrong ally said that she did shore dives in the after noon so you could possablly get 4 dives in one day if you were max out your diving per day.

Ally did offer to either go from the boat or just go from the shore. Obviously the price changes depending on what you choose.

I went for a shore dive, since I have never done one and I assumed it would be cheaper.

The onliy thing I didn't like about the night dive when I was there is that when the sun set and it got dark it was right at dinner time so you had to adjust according to how you want to handle dinner.

Worst case senario Geoff you can organise a water taxi.They island hop frequently -or as you say theres always the resorts launch. I'm guessing (perhaps incorrectly) you are heading out to Matangi from Denerau.-Or are you catching a chopper/seaplane to the resort? ANYHOO of you are heading out from Denerau You'll likely have a half hour or so wait there. Plenty of time to organise the transfer.
I know its frustrating getting info out of Fiji because everybodies so laid back and chilled.--Ohh and hey have a good time dude
We arrive Matangi on June 25, flying in to Taveuni after spending the night in Nadi. Great news that it's possible to organize a water taxi to Savusavu after we leave Matangi. We meet up with a group at the Koro Sun Resort starting around June 30

Looking through our itinerary, I can't tell if we're double booked in various places or what's going on :confused: I need to straighten out where we have to be each day!

When is everyone going to be in that area? I am currently in Vanuatu (Espiritu Santo) diving and will be heading to Fiji the 21-28th, but haven't really made any plans for diving. Been reading up here for suggestions, so if anyone is looking for a diving buddy, let me know! (I am a budget traveler, so I'm not sure if some of these resorts are in my price range!)

:) Charlotte
We get to Matangi (right off from Taveuni) to dive starting Saturday June 25, then head to the Koro Sun Resort on Savusavu at the end of June. Neither place is budget, but maybe we'll see you out there on the water!

Mate I really hope like heck for your sake that the ash cloud situation doesn't cause you problems

Mate I really hope like heck for your sake that the ash cloud situation doesn't cause you problems
Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't paying much attention to the Chile volcano, since it didn't get much news attention here. Our LA to Nadi flight is through Sydney, but right now it looks like flights are going.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom