Fiji - Village Advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divediva

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this...but here it goes.
We're going to Fiji for a two weeks of diving and kicking around the islands. (can't wait..only 20 more days to go). We are planning on doing a village tour and need advise from those who have done this.

I would like to bring gifts for the folks of the village but I'm at a lost of what these people really need. I was thinking school supplies and/or batteries. Any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Pencils/pens/paper
sets of guitar strings
I took a bag of kids clothing

If it is the last stop/day:
Be prepared to leave behind as much of your clothing as you can including sandals/flip flops.
Leave masks, fins, snorkels too if you can afford it

things for the kids - books, pencils, rulers, books to read and clothing. doesnt have to be brand new clothes-go to your local op-shop and get good clean clothes in various sizes.

we holiday in the tropics every year and always take stuff we dont intend on bringing home. tshirts, shorts, shoes, underwear, dive gear, batteries, toiletries, even our toothbrushes (to clean boat motors is my prefered thought) - everything gets a new use and our bags are always much lighter for the trip home.

if you take a photo and say you will send the person a copy - follow thru and do it.

my experience has been that tipping is disrepectful in the villages but a gift of a shirt, even one of your back is appreciated. we have a great photo leaving a fijian island and being sung to by the staff and about 8 people are wearing hubbys shirts.

there is one island in the tropics we go back to every 2 years and items we have given in the past are either still being worn or we are remembered by the person. Oh, i also always take a bottle of bubble mixture and spend a fantastic afternoon blowing bubbles with the kids.

also, when you go into fiji - you may get a customs form that asks are you bringing in 2nd hand clothes - i answered no and had no problems

just remembered - if you get a chance, go to a village church service, i found it fantastic.

hope you have a great time!

We brought colored pencils and Mr. Sketch pens for the kids. We later realized that they didn't seem to have much, if any, paper to draw on.

The kids were extremely polite and NEVER approached us until offered something. At first we thought that they didn't really care for or want the items we were handing out. Later, however, we saw them joyfully displaying their pens and pencils. It seems that the children in the Fijian village were extremely polite and also a bit shy. When handing out items in other countries, we found that the kids would mob us. This was not the case in Fiji, although they appreciated and wanted the items as much as the children in the other country.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've already went through my t-shirt pile at home and have them set aside to take and leave in Fiji. I'm getting my husband to do the same.
So just need to go get some school supplies.

Almitywife,
Yup, church service is alraedy planning. I've heard that it's a must-do when in Fiji.

Again thanks for the advice.

Don't forget to take some sets of guitar strings... especially for the folks at the church you visit. They are cheap here but difficult to come by there.

Uncle Pug:
Don't forget to take some sets of guitar strings... especially for the folks at the church you visit. They are cheap here but difficult to come by there.

OK, noted.
I'll stop by the music store and get a set or two. Plus these willb e easy to pack :wink:

Hi: I agree with all the other comments.....give school supplies, (especially 3 ring binders and back packs), t shirts etc. But, I was asked by one village to bring something for the women of the village....they love tablecloths, (especially lace), which are really treasured! Only a few dollars in the U.S. but a wonderful gift in Fiji.

divediva:
Not sure if this is the right place to ask this...but here it goes.
We're going to Fiji for a two weeks of diving and kicking around the islands. (can't wait..only 20 more days to go). We are planning on doing a village tour and need advise from those who have done this.

I would like to bring gifts for the folks of the village but I'm at a lost of what these people really need. I was thinking school supplies and/or batteries. Any other suggestions.

Thanks in advance

Dollar Tree stores have inexpensive stuff for the kids and $1 reading glass are great gifts, easy to pack.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom