Fill your own tanks....way cheaper than a compressor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you made pumping your full time job you could fill an 80 in a week!
-or, looking at it another way -
At minimum wage you could pay for a real compressor in about four AL 80 fills.
What a deal!
Rick :)

lol, it doesn't say how long it will take you to fill up one bottle up to 200 bar. I'm very curious about this. You can perhaps combine it with free fitness lessons.

I just practice blowing really hard at work all day long. Now I'm capable of filling my own tanks to 300 bar from my own hot air. Only problem so far is that my O2 levels are reduced because of inhalation. I'm thinking of going Trimix, but the Helium makes my voice sound funny before I can blow it into the tank.

As a side benefit, I can now do side work blowing up ballons for kid's parties, but I have to be carefull I don't accidently burst them in one breath.

It's only 14650 pumps to fill an E8-119. Letmesee, at a pump every 2sec. that'd take about 8hrs or so. (Oh, sure you'd go faster at the beginning, but I bet you couldn't pump anything for 8hrs straight!)

-Rob

Forgive me if these posts are meant as jokes, but I don't think the purpose of that device is for filling scuba tanks.

That pump is used to fill air pistol and rifle cylinders which are significantly smaller than scuba tanks. The scuba tank is mentioned because those tanks are taken to matches and used to fill the rifle tanks. Scuba tanks are much easier and convienent to transport than high pressure air compressors. A similar use for scuba tanks is in off-road vehicles to fill tires after airing down at the trailhead or to run air tools for a short time.

That is quite expensive considering the cost of tanks and fills though.

Again, sorry if these posts are made in jest. I can't tell the tone and feeling of posts very well just by reading them.

Dinictus:
lol, it doesn't say how long it will take you to fill up one bottle up to 200 bar. I'm very curious about this. You can perhaps combine it with free fitness lessons.
Well.... let's do the math.
230 cc/pump at 1 ATA
That means about 125 pumps per cubic foot at 1 ATA
So, with a perfect no-waste system, that's about 10,000 pumps to fill an 80 from empty.
But you do know that actual mass output drops per pump as pressure increases, right? And a more realistic figure, if the top output of the pump is 250 bar is that it takes at least 4 pumps in the 200 bar range to get the same standard volume output as one pump at 1 ATA (the same number of molecules actually out of the pump), sooooo, the average is probably in the real range of at least 20,000 pumps for an 80.
That's a lot o' pumpin'.
Rick :)

Jason A:
Forgive me if these posts are meant as jokes, but I don't think the purpose of that device is for filling scuba tanks.

I assure you I was quite serious that I can now fill my own tanks simply through blowing. After that brick house keep me away from some tasty pork loins, I went back to work and now masonary structures provide no obstacle to my dinner choices. It's only as a side benefit that I can fill my own dive tanks.

BTW, I don't need to actually fill any airsoft guns. I simply blow the pellets off my hand. I do have to be careful I don't surpass the 300fps limit. People always give me funny looks at the chrono station and ask how they know I won't blow harder during the game. I tell them the same why I know they won't turn up their velocity.

Back
Top Bottom