filling off road tires with scuba tanks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

YORK! That is the proper way to go. You can build your own brackets if you have the tools. Kilby There is also a company called Power Tank. They are another option, but you have to go a welding supply store to get them filled for around $14.00 or so.

Did I mention YORK! Pick N Pull half price sales, pick up a spare. Tons of write ups on Pirate4x4 for installation.

My rig is tiny with only 37" tires and I can't imagine not having a renewable air supply on the trail.

I bought a co2 setup for pneumatic tools / filling tires. co2 turns to liquid at somewhere around 900 psi, and as a liquid it gets really dense. A standard 20 lbs co2 cylinder (commonly used to carbonate beer/soda) has about 163 cubic feet when converted to a gas, and is about 8" x 27". I found a 20 lbs tank w/ adjustable regulator on ebay for dirt cheap ($60-80 I think? it was a few years back), it's cheap to fill up, and lasts forever. It's been a while since I had it filled, they fitted mine with an angled dip tube so I could get the gas vapors when its on its side. I think usually they just exchange them, so you probably don't have to worry about getting it hydro'd & inspected, but that would probably be up to wherever you get it filled - probably tons of places around since they are used in many stores/restaurants.

You can also use the co2 as a shielding gas for mig welding & pneumatic tools.

Rob

I actually carry a tire inflator on a separate low pressure hose on my rig so I can inflate my hand cart, golf cart and Toyota Tercel tires when need be.

Back
Top Bottom