Filter housing size / amount of material vs compressor size?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ThePimp

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm buying an external filter for my compressor (additional filter, not the primary one) and I'm thinking which size I should get.

My friend tells me that it only affects how fast filter material will need changing, not the quality of filtration.

For example, I want to buy an external filter which is good for Bauer Junior (100l/min) which I have as a portable, but also Bauer Mariner (200l/min) which I have as a club unit.

He is telling me a filter rated for 140l/min compressors is a not a bad choice because on bigger compressor, it will not affect the quality of produced air, but only the filter material life (as in it will last fewer hours), and on smaller compressors it will be good anyway?

As I want to get to OCA air, I am concerned is it true or not?

If it's true, it would maybe make sense as more frequently it will be used on 100l compressor, and less frequently (but not excluded) on the bigger (200-250l).

He says both from the price, but also transportation size and weight it would make sense to buy a filter housing not too big.

Thnx!

Those compressors should be spitting out OCA with their stock filters as an FYI. Have you had them checked or are you doing this preemptively? If you put an "extra" filter on there, it should be designed to be used all of the time if you want to actually make use of it. The filter media needs to be in the right order, so putting desiccant in the "extra" filter is pointless because if any moisture gets past the first filter, then the first filter is completely dead and you need to replace it immediately.
13x to dry and get rid of some hydrocarbons, then sometimes silica gel to make it super dry, hopcalite to get rid of the CO, then activated carbon to get rid of the rest of it. In that order. So if you have a properly spec'd filter for those compressors, with 13x/Hopcalite/AC, then you don't need anything more. If you choose to put another one in there, there is no point in paying for 13x/Hopcalite in that cartridge and you would have an entire cartridge full of AC for cleaning. That cartridge will last for years provided the ones on the units are OK.

We had a discussion about this earlier this week, and basically every compressor sold recently, if fitted with a proper breathing air cartridge *13x, AC, Hopcalite*, is going to spit out OCA gas. Replace them at the right intervals, and you don't need an "extra" filter because it' not going to increase the life of the first ones and it's not going to do anything for you.
Now, an exception to that is if you change the filters in the pumps to only be 13x/Silica for drying, then have a separate tower for Hopcalite/AC or do 13x/silica/Hopcalite in the pumps, then a full tower of AC. That will extend the filter changes for you but it isn't going to provide any "cleaner" gas.

Your buddy is somewhat right on the sizing. A 140l stack on a 200l pump is probably OK, but there is a requirement for dwell time in the filters to make them work so oversizing is always better as it gives the gas more time to hang out and get clean. In this case bigger is always better with the one caveat that if it's too big, it holds a LOT of gas. If you regularly change mixes going through the filters i.e. air then 32% or whatever, then it takes quite a while for the new mix to get through the stacks since you don't want to drain them.

Hi,

I'm buying an external filter for my compressor

To make it quick and simple.

1. Your choice is very limited how much do you want to spend.
2. Where in the world are you running this compressor.
3. How many fills do you do on average a month.
4. What filter set up have you got on the Mariner a P3/P21 or P41

Thnx!

1) 1500-2000€
2) Croatia on the sea (hot summers, mild winters)
3) 30-40
4) I think the smaller one P21

To make it quick and simple.

1. Your choice is very limited how much do you want to spend.
2. Where in the world are you running this compressor.
3. How many fills do you do on average a month.
4. What filter set up have you got on the Mariner a P3/P21 or P41

1) "1500-2000€" I think thats too much I was thinking to kick off we go around half of that 750-1000€
and work on two different sizes/options and include in that budget a stainless repack cartridge, visual humidity indicator, back pressure regulator, non return valve, Pressure gauge, filter lifting/carry handle

2) "Croatia on the sea (hot summers, mild winters)" I asked this because of differences in breathing air purity
standards and to get some idea of your ambient air temperatures range to work out cartridge life expectancy.

3) "30-40" Fills a month I asked this to work out a filter chemical cartridge life expectancy and to compare it with the options of a repack cartridge. Also think we should consider the option of a aftermarket filter but with the Bauer spigot that way if your pushed you could go repack with chemical or Bauer throw away cartridge you have both options.

4) "I think the smaller one P21" I asked this to get the an idea of what life to expect from the primary filter pack.
im also toying with the idea of either using the existing charging assembly on the two Bauers and connect the (assumed DIN) connection to the intake of the secondary filter, or re mount the Bauer filling assembly downstream of the second filter to save on duplicating charging assemblies.

Im also of a mind for us to consider a planned filter change out say every thee months ( 4 changes a year) that way any water condensate in the chemical wont go stale and use a small secondary filter but also by alternative option to consider a larger filter for the little extra it would cost from manufacture cost and run it say for a year.
Either way the visual indicator would back up any calculation error or unexected water carry over from the primary filter stack.

I was for keeping the Bauer P-21 filter spigot size, that way you can swap stock cartriges for primary or secondary as a back up but on reflection as the re pack would be the most logical solution and if so I suggest you consider the Bauer P41 or P60 filter tower sizes and go belt and braces design and your still within the 750-1000€ including all the listed additions BPR Gauge Vis Indicator etc.

Just need to list out the parts and do a more accurate cost of all the components. Work out a pragmatic connect disconnect option to bothe compressors and come up with some method to retain gas pressure inside the secondary filter tower when not in use. Iain

Hi Ian,

Let's continue this over email.

I'll send you a private message with my email address, or you can send me yours.

I am very interested to see what we can come to with 1000-1500 range.

The amount I mentioned was a far stretch for me (us) because I thought that we cannot get anything less than that.

Let me send you a PM.

Thnx

1) "1500-2000€" I think thats too much I was thinking to kick off we go around half of that 750-1000€
and work on two different sizes/options and include in that budget a stainless repack cartridge, visual humidity indicator, back pressure regulator, non return valve, Pressure gauge, filter lifting/carry handle

2) "Croatia on the sea (hot summers, mild winters)" I asked this because of differences in breathing air purity
standards and to get some idea of your ambient air temperatures range to work out cartridge life expectancy.

3) "30-40" Fills a month I asked this to work out a filter chemical cartridge life expectancy and to compare it with the options of a repack cartridge. Also think we should consider the option of a aftermarket filter but with the Bauer spigot that way if your pushed you could go repack with chemical or Bauer throw away cartridge you have both options.

4) "I think the smaller one P21" I asked this to get the an idea of what life to expect from the primary filter pack.
im also toying with the idea of either using the existing charging assembly on the two Bauers and connect the (assumed DIN) connection to the intake of the secondary filter, or re mount the Bauer filling assembly downstream of the second filter to save on duplicating charging assemblies.

Im also of a mind for us to consider a planned filter change out say every thee months ( 4 changes a year) that way any water condensate in the chemical wont go stale and use a small secondary filter but also by alternative option to consider a larger filter for the little extra it would cost from manufacture cost and run it say for a year.
Either way the visual indicator would back up any calculation error or unexected water carry over from the primary filter stack.

I was for keeping the Bauer P-21 filter spigot size, that way you can swap stock cartriges for primary or secondary as a back up but on reflection as the re pack would be the most logical solution and if so I suggest you consider the Bauer P41 or P60 filter tower sizes and go belt and braces design and your still within the 750-1000€ including all the listed additions BPR Gauge Vis Indicator etc.

Just need to list out the parts and do a more accurate cost of all the components. Work out a pragmatic connect disconnect option to bothe compressors and come up with some method to retain gas pressure inside the secondary filter tower when not in use. Iain

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom