Filter shelf life ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVMike

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I read somewhere that filter cartridges have a six month shelf life. I am curious of any opinions on this?

If you had a new filter in factory package that was older than 6 months would you use it or throw it away?

If you had one in use, that was used very little, would you change it out every 6 months?

This can become a long complicated discussion but here's a very brief answer:

Shelf life, as defined as a cartridge in an unopend factory package, varies from brand to brand.,..but most are rated for at least a year. These shelf life ratings normally have some safety margin built in. It all hinges on the packaging and how well it baricades atmospheric moisture from penetrating....moisture being the number one cause for filter media to become deactivated. Bear in mind that a good breathing-air filter contains a number of sorbents & catalysts, including Monoxycon or Hopcalite catalyst ('removes' Carbon Monoxide). If this catalyst becomes poisoned by humidity it looses its effectivness....a potentialy lethal risk. Additionally, the desiccants contained in the cartridge will loose effectiveness for the same reason. This can result in affecting filter performance on a number of levels including decreased adsorption power & moisture poisoning of the CO catalyst. Dont loose sight of the fact that this filter cartridge is all that lies between oily, wet, hydrocarbon laden, "industrial" air filled with all sorts of other contaminents and.... pristine ,safe, BREATHING-AIR.

As to a cartridge that has been installed....yes, the useful lifespan is normally limited to 6 months. For all the reasons above i would recommend it be dispossed of.

Bottom line? ....speak to the manufacturer of the cartridge in order to get thier recommendation.

Last edited:
As to a cartridge that has been installed....yes, the useful lifespan is normally limited to 6 months. For all the reasons above i would recommend it be dispossed of.

Bottom line? ....speak to the manufacturer of the cartridge in order to get thier recommendation.

Hey, I believe I just did. My question was about a LF filter, and it had been installed more than six months, and never used. Allthough it looked pristine, I am taking your advice and have ordered a new one.

Thanks

Im looking for a replacement air filter for my Bauer compressor, it has an jordair 705 NS Blue cylinder. Im using it with a long hose atttached away from the honda engine,,no ill effects but would feel safer if the filter was new. They wanted 1800 dollars for a replacement canister for my unit...must be someone out there who knows how i can replace this outdated filter.
Thanks for your help.
Monty........my email address is gmontaine@globalsec.com

Im looking for a replacement air filter for my Bauer compressor, it has an jordair 705 NS Blue cylinder. Im using it with a long hose atttached away from the honda engine,,no ill effects but would feel safer if the filter was new. They wanted 1800 dollars for a replacement canister for my unit...must be someone out there who knows how i can replace this outdated filter.
Thanks for your help.
Monty........my email address is gmontaine@globalsec.com

Lawrence Factor can help you with that, they can also provide you with filter cartridges for your current filter.
ZDD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom