Filter vs. Lights - When to use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dpspaceman

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Alright,
I know this might sound like a newbie question, but I figured I'd ask. I've been mentally building what my rig would look like for my gopro.

Conclusions thus far:
1. tray for better stability in filming
2. polar pro red filter is trash
3. thanks toozler for tips on affordable tray construction ($20)
4. lights to begin perhaps 2 archon lights ($80) + locline from SRP ($45)
5. new red filter from backscatter (Flip) or SRP
6. looks like my gopro white has to go… L

Questions now is…
When I’m diving in non-night settings,
1) when should I turn the lights on? Is it only when I’m filming up close?
2) Should I remove red filter when using lights? I’ve heard some people say you can do both assuming the light is covering the entire shot. Still unsure here.
3) If I don’t have the flip, then taking off a red filter to film with lights sounds tedious… so am I confined to the Flip?
4) Night diving: no red filter and only lights?
5) Deeper wreck with underpass… quite dark when swimming through, take filter off and lights on?

1) Use the lights whenever the red filter is off. If you film up close with your red filter on then lights are not necessarily needed. Usually if your up close enough, say for macro, then your better off with no filter and lights on.
2) If at greater depths where its darker both lights and filter are doable. You can always correct the WB in post if you think the image came out too red.
3) SRP has a snap off filter mount that isn't too bad. I personally used the Flip and found it pretty easy.
4) No red filter at night. Lights only.
5) In caves, crevasses, overhangs, wreck penetration or any other areas that are particularly dark, take of the filter and use lights. A red filter won't do your camera any favors with regards to exposure or color in such dark settings.

Your lights will only illuminate things a few feet away. If you want to shoot something that is more than that distance - do NOT use the light. It will only serve to illuminate small particles in the water creating unnecessary backscatter.

In certain low light conditions - say deep or cloudy, you may decide that a filter is detrimental because it cuts down on the ambient light too much. So there may be situations where you will want the filter off and the lights off.

1) Use the lights whenever the red filter is off. If you film up close with your red filter on then lights are not necessarily needed. Usually if your up close enough, say for macro, then your better off with no filter and lights on.
2) If at greater depths where its darker both lights and filter are doable. You can always correct the WB in post if you think the image came out too red.

So the problems you will encounter with these two recommendations are that for number 1, as was already pointed out, the lights are really only useful for a few feet worth of illumination. After that, you will need some serious lighting, which I doubt you intend to bring for use with a GoPro.

For number 2, if you use a filter and lights you are negating the benefit of the light by using the filter. The filter cuts the amount of light entering the lens...so you really should pick one..filter or light.

If you are shooting wide angle (which by default is what the GoPro does), you want the filter as the lights won't be much use. For close up and macro, you want the lights, which totally eliminate the need for the a filter, as the lights will bring back all the color you will ever want.

Although I agree that a red filter isn't necessary with lights, especially for macro, using both together has never caused me a problem.

Both used here, a little macro stuff at the end.

[video=vimeo;100580912]https://vimeo.com/100580912[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom