Finally, a BC for Freedivers!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dd,

There is a standard lug nut sized PSI gauge on the Razor valve/regulator, so that it can be checked before putting the belt on and by a buddy during the dive.

As an option the diver can choose to add the Zeagle slimline PSI gauge on a 12" hose if constant monitoring is prefered.

We recommend training with the product before diving, and also diving a complete tank, about 12 dives, in safe confined water prior to going out deeper.

I can tell when the Ascent is low on air before the last dive, as it fills slower, but it's possible that a diver might be distracted and not notice. It is also recommended to keep track of how many dives you have made with a freedive computer. When on the last half of the tank especially, it is wise to partially fill the BC on the way down, much like a scuba diver does, rather than wait until the deepest part of the dive. If a diver should find the tank unable to fill the BC to establish neutral buoyancy, the dive should be aborted, ascending while still fresh on the breathhold.

Proper weighting is very important for efficient and safe diving with the Ascent BC Belt, as it is with standard freediving. The Ascent is only about 1.5 to 2 lbs more negative than a standard freediving weightbelt. We recommend divers never over-weight their BC belts, and not dive beyond their depth or time limitations.

There are many excellent freediving training facilities around the world, and many of them will be among the first to train and sell the Zeagle Ascent BC Belts.

Thanks for your comments.

Chad

To me. having the "big" pressure guage would seem to be a very important option.

This belt will definitely have more drag than a standard belt, however the ability to become neutral (or bouyant) at depth would seem to more than offset the increased drag.

Amphibious:
it is a step in the right direction as has been stated but I wonder how much use it will by serious freedivers, those that are in the highest risk group for SWB. what is the #1 motivating factor in freedivign gear design? Hydrodynamics. that belt is not anywhere close to hydrodynamic. so one has to weigh entanglement hazzard & Proformance loss if they decide to adopt such a safety device as part of their standard kit.

don't get grumpy just because someone is exposing weaknesses in design. thats how decent idea becomes a great peice of kit.

Amphibious,

I only made comment that your evaluations are made without use of the product or even seeing it.

A diver that has been diving with it would know that it's buoyancy compensation abilities far exceed the minimal drag it creates.

A diver can descend more easily, get neutral at any or multiple depths, and ascend nearly effortlessly with only slight kicking at the beginning of the ascent. Much less energy is expended than on a comparable dive with otherwise identical freediving gear.

The Ascent is a BC, so it has some safety aspects, but as a BC it's primary functions are performance oriented. It is stated throughout the literature that the Ascent is not a PFD and is not designed to keep a freediver's airway out of the water.

Unfortunately freediving spearos use much equipment that has huge entanglement issues, float lines and reel guns for instance. There are times when they are appropriate as well as not.

Only time will tell how many freedivers will use the Ascent, so I won't speculate.

Chad

dumpsterDiver:
the ability to become neutral (or bouyant) at depth would seem to more than offset the increased drag.

dd,

This is absolutely true.

Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some more video of the Ascent up on the website www.floridaskindiver.com.

One dive shows an ascent from 50 feet to the surface without any kicking. The over-pressure valve is purging about the last 15 feet of the way, which provides positive bouyancy for a porperly weighted diver, even after exhalation.

Cheers!

Chad

Thalassamania,

Thanks having an open mind!

I hope a dealer near you will soon have an Ascent available.

Size medium will be available at the beginning of this week. Large and small will follow in another month or so.

I remember Fenzy BCs, at the dive store where I trained back in 1972.

Dive safe!

Chad

Chad Carney:
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get some more video of the Ascent up on the website www.floridaskindiver.com.

One dive shows an ascent from 50 feet to the surface without any kicking. The over-pressure valve is purging about the last 15 feet of the way, which provides positive buoyancy for a properly weighted diver, even after exhalation.

Cheers!

Thanks to YouTube this video is finally up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7udVJHq0KY

It was shot in March of 2006 with a prototype Ascent, which was actually too small for me. It still worked fine.

Chad

Back
Top Bottom