Finally Bought a Yak II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Orlando Eric

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I also am a proud Yak owner. I just got home with a Ocean Trident 15'. I am excited to put it in the water when I am off again to see how it handles. Oddly enough this model has the Rod Rod and Sonar Sheild but does not have rod holders which I thought was standard on this model?

It does have a pro installed 6" hatch on the rear deck which will be handy for something once I start using the yak and get stuff organized.

Three months to practice before Mini Season!!

Congrats on the new Yak! I'll need practice also.. Let me know if you are ever heading towards Venice for a shark tooth dive and I'll load up the yak to join you..

Took her out on her madien voyage! Water tight and sound! She tracked straight and is very stable, suprisingly so. Seemed every bit as stable as the Scrambler XT's I have rented only way way faster. I am still learning how to paddle but I am getting more torso into the stroke than arms with every pull.

I put on suntan lotion but apparently it washed off because my legs and feet are lobsta red. I have to wear boots tonight for work. Next time I am buying the high dollar suntan lotion or maybe just some Sears Exterior White latex 50 year paint.

I am looking forward to launching at Pepper Park the 29th (my next day off) and try her out in the rolling pitching seas.

Congrats on you yak. I'm looking for one now. I'm going back and forth about what to get. I hope that you enjoy yours. I see that you went with the 15 instead of the 13 any particular reason?

Last edited:
TeachMiami-- I had a great reason for going with the 15' yak. Craigslist.

The 15' list for $1,009.00 I got a $130.00 Paddle -- a Body Glove life vest $40.00 total with tax new is $1,249.74 -- I got it for $725.00 cash. It is mint condition with only some sun fade to the hatches. The previous owner bought it to lobster from but his friend bought a boat and he stored it outside in his backyard. I suspect he had VERY limited use of the yak. HE did not have some key items: Paddle Leash, Sponge, Bilge pump, Whistle, Mirror, Flares. With much yaking you'd have those items.

Get your money handy, watch Craigslist and be quick with the clikity clik you'll get a great deal. Do not settle for less than you want though.

DUDE I am so excited about your new boat!!!!!

Fuhgeddabout the sunscreen, just wear pants or a dive skin. I wear one of those SPF 50 long sleeved rash guards on top and pants on the bottom. The sunscreen lasts for about 3 minutes before you sweat it off.

Debby I thought about my dive skin!! I need to get something other than the tactical black one I have -- I do not want the locals calling the USCG on me. We have a local Nuke Plant and some OUTSTANDING crime watch types in the tall condos.

I have to look to see if I can get a skin in fusia flower prints

You would look so pretty in a hibiscus print dive skin. :rofl3:

I hear ya on the black leggings...I moved to Floriduh soon after the Mariel Boat Lift and started beach diving immediately with friends. One fall day we were wearing our wetsuits on a Hollywood beach dive, and there were officers of the law waiting on the beach for us. Laughing their butts off. It seems that a condo dweller called 911 to report Cubans swimming to shore! :rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Eric,

Have you figured out the anchor trolley, rod holders and fishfinder mount yet? Youtube search kayak rigging and you'll find step by step guides for everything, then customize it to your preferences. For rod holders, I rigged an accessory bar and rail-mounted attwood rod holders from walmart...Ill post pics if I can find one

Steve Rod holders I will have to mount-- fishfinder not in a hurry to mount that--- anchor trolley if I take up fishing in the Indian river I might make one of those it would be ideal in the flats.

I am just looking forward to be a Lobster slayer-- Yumm yumm yummy in my tum tum tummy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom