Finally did my first SCUBA experience and enjoyed it despite my disability

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations! What a great experience. Some of my favorite dives are 25-30 feet deep. Lots of beautiful things to see on a shallow reef. It will be so great if you & your sister can enjoy diving together. I look forward to seeing future posts from you.

You literally made my day. I love hearing how you got to try and succeed at scuba diving. Can you keep us posted on how you do? I am rooting for you and if you are ever by Lake Jocassee south Carolina shoot my a DM I would love to dive with you.

Your story is the most wonderful story to wake up to and read in the morning here in my shiity sad part of the world today. Thank you for sharing and I can't wait to read more about your progress.

You might ask the manufacturer of the pump if a drysuit would allow you to dive deeper. My son has an insulin monitor and pump which can only go to 6m but it does fine in a drysuit.

Lots to see in 30ft and you can dive a long time on a single tank.
No sure if a drysuit would help because the issue with pressure still on the body. (Not sure what insulin stuff your son uses, but all the stuff for my pump is fully inside me). That being said most of studies I have read on this talk about after 100 foot dives crushing the device's reservoir (the Baclofen is in liquid form) by almost half... Depending on how long I would need be a 60 feet for certification dive me and my doctor that handles my pump might need to have chat next time I get this filled

This post made my day as well... I'm super stoked for you!
On the fins/hand fins thing, I would recommend both just for the added control the feet give you (think steering with feet, hands for power). And, as @rhwestfall mentioned a DPV (even a small "toy" type) could be a good solution with the fins on your feet steering.
Disclaimer though... I'm not an instructor of any type, much less an adaptive scuba instructor. I'd run all these ideas past your instructor first!

Respectfully,

James

This post made my day as well... I'm super stoked for you!
On the fins/hand fins thing, I would recommend both just for the added control the feet give you (think steering with feet, hands for power). And, as @rhwestfall mentioned a DPV (even a small "toy" type) could be a good solution with the fins on your feet steering.
Disclaimer though... I'm not an instructor of any type, much less an adaptive scuba instructor. I'd run all these ideas past your instructor first!

Respectfully,

James
A friend on Facebook mentioned that DPV thing, is that a common rental or would I need to buy it out right? Also do they need regular maintenance like a BCD and regulator? If i get certified diving would depend on where (or if) we go on vacation, some years we might go see family in Montana or Wyoming so probably would not be diving that year. If we were closer to water buying would be a no-brainer but having to travel to dive makes one more thing to keep track of (and remember a charger for...)

No sure if a drysuit would help because the issue with pressure still on the body. (Not sure what insulin stuff your son uses, but all the stuff for my pump is fully inside me). That being said most of studies I have read on this talk about after 100 foot dives crushing the device's reservoir (the Baclofen is in liquid form) by almost half... Depending on how long I would need be a 60 feet for certification dive me and my doctor that handles my pump might need to have chat next time I get this filled
I was curious and did a little reading, seems the damage is done to the reservoir and that the degree is relative to the emptiness of it. So if you were to go get it topped off just prior to the training dives the potential damage for would be minimal since the med would be incompressible.

First, a big congratulations. I do hope that you continue with SCUBA!
A friend on Facebook mentioned that DPV thing, is that a common rental or would I need to buy it out right? Also do they need regular maintenance like a BCD and regulator?
Scooters (DPVs) do need some maintenance and most people buy their own. It's potentially a good idea for you, but something you should consider a bit farther down the road, after you get certified. You mentioned the FL keys for shallow diving....there is also Blue Heron Bridge near W. Palm Beach. You'll be hard pressed to find something deeper than 20', but the diversity of critters there is amazing, so something else to consider.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom