Finally dove the new 18w Helios light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Phew!!! I almost saw a flock of pigs fly by. :D

oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap oinkflap

TIP: don't leave the thumb screw tightened during storage or transport and do not rotate the the reflector/goodman handle on the ballast with it tightened. The delrin light slug is threaded into the ballast and you could apply enough torque with the goodman handle to actually unscrew it and break the seal allowing water into the front end of the ballast.

If I don't loosen the thumb screw I could inadvertently break the seal while packing away or unpacking the light? As a prospective near term buyer of this light, this does not give warm fuzzies . . .

Thanks all for comments

The warm fuzzies should come from the secure knowledge that without the thumb screw cranked down there is no way for the goodman handle to apply torque to the light slug and unscrew it.

califdiver1 in checking your post history I see that you've ordered a Halcyon Proteus 10w HID... the TIP about the goodman handle thumb screw has nothing to do with your light.

Rest Easy and Sleep Peacefully my friend.

Are you saying that the front end of the slug can unscrew from the part that holds the ballast? I thought it was all one piece? I cant see any seam from the round part of the slug to the rectangular part of the ballast housing. What gives? Is there an oring inside the slug at that connection?

Snowbear:
:11::11::11:

Crimany.

Time for another trip to Costco for some more multi-coloreds....

I'm currently using the zip-zip double ender gland method (ZZDEG) - mostly because I didn't know the light was coming in, and I rolled into our last dive and Arnaud broght the light, and I had to make do with whatever I had in the drybox. I'll fix it for this weekend's trip.

Thanks

---
Ken

Back
Top Bottom