Finally figured out gear choices....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvmjethead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
OK, so since diving for the 1st through the 5th times in my life all in PDC Mexico on some awesome reefs, and getting completely bugged on diving.....:lotsalove:

I've acquired some gear along the way. My lovely wife bought me a Aluminum 80, a titanium dive knife and a UK dive light for Valentines Day.

I got myself an Atomic mask, split fins, a Mares semi dri suit, a snorkle and I had a 3 mil shorty from Jet Skiing days.

So for now all I really need to get certified is BCD and regs. I will not take the course without my own gear to train in. Call me crazy but I do not want to train on rented gear.

So after MUCH reading and listening and more reading I've FINALLY made up my mind.

I'm getting a Zeagle Ranger BCD and an Atomic reg and octo, most likely the Z2.

Now I just need a couple more hundred dollars so I don't have to charge any of this crap.

:D

Thanks to everybody for all the advice, arguments and opinions. For a while there I was more confused than before I came here. Now I'm sure my choice is the best for me and the diving I'll be doing.

Great choices. I purchased my Ranger and Z2 before classes and, for me, it was a good move. Both are great to use. Might want to add a computer to the list too.

"...just need a couple more hundred dollars..., " that's only the beginning. :D

"...just need a couple more hundred dollars..., " that's only the beginning. :D

Ah, yes, I remember when it was "hundred" instead of "thousand". :shakehead:

Ah, yes, I remember when it was "hundred" instead of "thousand". :shakehead:

Yup...

A thousand here, a thousand there. Pretty soon you're talking real money!

:eyebrow:

While you are waiting get out there with what you have a and do a lot of skin-diving. It will do you a world of good long term.

Pete

Great choices. I purchased my Ranger and Z2 before classes and, for me, it was a good move. Both are great to use. Might want to add a computer to the list too. :D

Forgot to say, somewhere along the way I bought a Suunto Cobra, so I already have a computer as well.

I am getting certified as we speak and all of my own equipment consists of Scubapro Kinetix fins, and Trinidad mask/snorkel. I am going to disagree on buying your own gear before you get certified and here's why!

1. The only way to be sure you know how every piece of equipment works is by training in it.
2. Who wants to lug all that equipment multiple times a week (x2 for me) to a pool just to train in?
3. It will be that much more exciting when you buy your own equipment because all you know is old smelly worn out BC's and regulators and your new equipment will be so much better!

Instead of having to do so much research online and then spending thousands of dollars before you even get certified seems a little silly when you can research on older equipment and figure out what fits you best. Anyway, just my opinion.

I am going to disagree on buying your own gear before you get certified and here's why!

1. The only way to be sure you know how every piece of equipment works is by training in it.

That, to me, seems like an argument in favor of buying pre certification...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom