Finally Getting Back in the Water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

boomer68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi all,

I have been out of the water for almost 4 years due to a shoulder that had to be rebuilt. I have a Sealife DC800 with the strobe and have a few questions. I was only able to use this camera once before my injury so if some of my questions seem elementary, keep in mind I am a newbie photographer.

Is the DC800 a decent camera? reviews on SB seem to be very mixed leaning toward it is not a very good camera.

Am I correct in thinking that a strobe in most cases is needed to get deep popping colors? Or has some point and shoots with technology improved this where a strobe is not necessary.

Should I send my camera and strobe to Sealife to be looked at - replace o rings, etc. I know I can do myself, but since it has not been used in several years, would it be best for professionals to have a look to avoid a flood?

Lastly, opinions on the GoPro 3 video/camera? Is the video quality good without a light source (not sure is that is what is called) and does it take good pictures?

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Hello boomer68,

glad to know you'll be back underwater!

There is an ongoing debate about 'point and shoot' vs 'DSLR' cameras, both above and underwater.

The key question is: how much time, money and gear are you willing to put into this?

At this point you already have a great point and shoot, so I would recommend sticking with it until you are think you want to invest more time and money into this endeavour.

Personally I think Sealife makes excellent cameras and provide great bang for your buck. From your post it appears that you are not a pro u/w photography and your Sealife will allow you to take great pictures:, it is quite rugged, lighter, less cumbersome and easier to use to many rigs I have seen.

You are right that a strobe will make better pictures, but I have taken amazing pictures without it. The strobe allows you to place the light source farther from your subject, which will reduce backscatter (light reflected off the particles in the water).

I would definitely replace any O-rings and remove any dust or particles that allow the O-ring to make a perfect seal. You can test for leaks by putting your case in your bath tub (don't put your camera in it).

I would also buy 1 or 2 batteries as rechargeable batteries crap out after a couple of years. And a pack of moisture munchers.

Finally read the manual.

Once you've reaccustomed yourself to underwater photography, you'll be in a better position to decide where to put your money: stick to point and shoot (upgrade to the latest Sealife cam, add a strobe to your DC1400, add the 0.5X lens) or move into DSLRs.

Dom,

Thanks for your thoughts. I really appreciate it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom