Finally going to get certified (I Hope)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RockyTop

Registered
Reaction score
Posted this in the Introduction forum as well.

Just discovered the board a few days ago and have enjoyed the reading so far.

I am scheduled to take my open water course the 25th of this month. I am excited and very much looking forward to it. I have always wanted to do it but just never got around to it. Now is finally the time.

I love being underwater and always have. I have fished underwater with a mask and speargun since I was about 8 years old. I am now 31. I do this in creeks in average depth of about 5-8 ft.

I have always prided myself on being a great undewater swimmer with the ability to hold my breath longer than most people. Unleaning what I have learned is going to be tricky, however.

I can already see that my biggest obstacle is going to be the mask floooding. I can clear the mask with no trouble.

I dont panic but when I remove my mask water goes into my nose and I am unable to breath in or blow out my nose. I try and just cant get my body to respond. I eventually have to surface because I cant make myself start breathing again.

I am not afraid to try it and feel confident i will be able to get it with practice, its just not going to be easy.

Its actually a bit humbling for someone that has spent their entire life swimming underwater not to be able to something that seems so simple.

I finished part of my OW this past weekend. The mask flooding is a lot easier then you think. Practice in a pool if you have one before the class or any shallow water. I did that with my girlfriend who had the same concerns as you. Try just sticking your head under water and exhaling through your nose. If you can clear a mask with no problem then this shouldn't be that bad. Just start slow and work up to the removal.

Understood. Some people take a bit longer to get used to water being on their face and exhaling through the nose. Here are a couple of suggestions to hopefully help:

Practice inhaling through your mouth and exhaling through your nose while watching TV, driving, taking a bath with your face in the water, in the shower with water running on your face. Anytime, anywhere you can practice it, get into a habit.

Now put on your mask and do the same.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom