Finally got my 1st open water dive !!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ian Wigg

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I finally got my first open water dive this weekend - 38 minutes @ 12 metres on the Mulberries . I've never been so scared as I was for the first 2 or 3 metres down plus my left ear wouldn't equalise at first and one of my teeth started to hurt. Once I cleared my ear all the fear had gone and I was in heaven. Visibility was superb, water was about 16-17 C, very little current and masses of marine life. It took me ages to get my bouyancy correct so if anyone wondered what the black yo yo was it was probably me.

Can't wait to get back in the water.

Ian:jester:

Ian

Really pleased it went so well.

I remember when I was first doing my open water - I was in Greece and it was all off shore. For the first 2 days I couldnt get any deeper than about 6 metres - there was almost a wall I couldnt pass as I just couldnt equilise.

My instructor spoke to my parents on the second day saying if i could get passed the next day - I wouldnt be able to finish the course. I didnt know about this till when we returned home but luckily on the 3rd day I swam through quite happily!

Anyway - congrats. on your first o/w dive!!!:mean:

congrats on your first ow

its probebly nothing first dive nerves biting to hard on the mouth peice and all that but get your teath checked by your dentist have heard of peoples teath explodeing on accent (compressed air in a cavity at the bottom expanding on the way up cant get out tooth goes pop)

honestly im not trying to put you off :)

Most new divers have problems with their ears, when they start. Clear your ears on the surface before you start your ascent and repeat the process with every breath as you descend. That way you don't allow pressure to build up. If you are ever unable to equalise pressure build up, ascend and try again. Happy diving and welcome to water.

Hi Ian,

Congratulations on finally getting your fisrt open water dive in!
I know that you have been frustrated by all the waiting, but I hope that it has all finally been worth it.
Well done! I look forward to making some bubbles with you soon.
Regards,
Shaun

PS. To all those that have been wondering where I have been - I've been bubble making in Brittany.

Back
Top Bottom