Finally pulled the trigger on my upgrade to the Canon S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't believe I bought the camera back in June last year. Time flies. Already they've had two upgrades S110 and S120. It sounds like you'd need to get a new housing for each upgrade which is a problem if you flood the camera a couple of years after the initial purchase. Already it is difficult to get the S100 where I live. In other words, you pay around AUD $450 and AUD $900 for a good housing and you may have to throw it away after a couple of years. And these cameras are relatively cheap. I spoke to a diver today and he said he has a G12 with a plastic Canon casing and has had it flood three times while still under warranty so this is not uncommon.

Anyway, I'm relatively happy with the setup. I bought two cameras in case one floods. I shoot almost entirely in manual mode now on both the camera and the strobes. I like the versatility of the compact camera. I'd be looking closely at the Sony RX100 if I was buying a new compact camera. It looks like technically they've got the jump on Canon S100 series.

Trim15.jpgTrim19.JPGTrim27.jpgTrim30.jpgTrim34.jpgTrim38.jpgTrim40.JPGTrim44.jpgTrim46.jpgTrim47.jpg

You seem to mention that you flood your cameras a lot. What gives?

I wouldn't say once with this camera is a lot. As they say, there are two types of underwater photographers. Those that have flooded their cameras and those that are going to.

I wouldn't say once with this camera is a lot. As they say, there are two types of underwater photographers. Those that have flooded their cameras and those that are going to.

I also bought two S95's to go with my Recsea housing for the same reason. So far so good, but got a scare a little while ago when a couple of drops of water got in after stepping off the boat with my camera. A warning not to do that again. Attached are a few photos from a trip to PNG earlier this month. Although I am moving to an Olympus OMD-EM5 in a Nauticam housing I still like the small Canon S95.

20131207-IMG_0608.jpg20131210-IMG_0783-Edit.jpg20131211-IMG_0945-Edit.jpg20131211-IMG_0960.jpg20131213-IMG_1007.jpg20131213-IMG_1020.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom