Finally pulled the trigger on my upgrade to the Canon S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A couple of further observations:

If the subject will focus in normal mode even though you are close, why bother going to macro mode? There seems to be little difference in the minimum shooting distance to the subject between macro mode and normal mode with 24 -50 mm focal lengths. I noticed no difference in image quality. In my opinion, unless you cannot focus in normal mode there is no reason to switch to macro mode.

I use a single strobe and video light and have considered buying another strobe. One of the main reasons for going to another strobe would be to reduce shadows in pictures. I've been reading one of Martin Edge's books and he suggests sticking with one strobe until you have learned to use it well and learned its limitations. He points out that shadow can enhance a photo by adding depth of field. That corresponds with what I've noticed on some of the photos I like. Photos without shadow can appear flat. I tried using the video light to soften the shadows cast by the strobe. For a while I didn't think it made much difference. But that was only at the higher shutter speeds. As exposure time is increased the effects of the video light became much more evident and at the very long exposure times can cause the photo to become overexposed.

Does anyone have a link to or the manual for use of the SAL-03-S90 Macro lens?

I'm trying to figure out what is the minimum & maximum focus distance when using:

- just 1 lens
???
- just 2 lenses
so far FishFox says: "With 2 lenses down,..., I could zoom in 4x on a subject less than 5 cm from the front casing lens"
- just 3 lenses
???

Many thanks, L

Have had some troubles with the camera controls on the Recsea housing recently. It started with the housing front ring 'slipping' on the camera ring and failing to make the required adjustment. The next problem was the camera housing zoom knob. Again the knob failed to engage in the camera zoom knob and so it was not possible to zoom underwater. It would help if I operated the zoom control with the camera in the housing before closing the housing, but recently even this failed to work. Also now not working is the macro button activated by the rear wheel. Pressing to the right of the wheel allows the selection of the various flash settings. Pressing to the left of the wheel should adjust the various focus settings but the wheel now fails to engage the camera control.

I believed the problem was in the way in which the camera fitted in the housing, so I tried putting scraps of paper in various locations between the camera and the housing both at the front of the camera and at the rear. This did help resolve the zoom control and the macro selection but not the front ring slipping.

I have two cameras and recently tried the second camera in the housing to check if the camera was the problem. I found that all three problems disappeared with the second camera in place. This is one that has not been used much. The front ring operation does slip on occasions.

Just received my S100 and FIX housing back from the shop for some "tweaking". They told me that the internal wheels sometimes just need to be adjusted due to expansion, contraction, swelling, acts of God, etc. It was a free tweak and all works fine now. My rear wheel was giving me the most trouble.

Rob

A couple of further observations:

If the subject will focus in normal mode even though you are close, why bother going to macro mode? There seems to be little difference in the minimum shooting distance to the subject between macro mode and normal mode with 24 -50 mm focal lengths. I noticed no difference in image quality. In my opinion, unless you cannot focus in normal mode there is no reason to switch to macro mode.

I use a single strobe and video light and have considered buying another strobe. One of the main reasons for going to another strobe would be to reduce shadows in pictures. I've been reading one of Martin Edge's books and he suggests sticking with one strobe until you have learned to use it well and learned its limitations. He points out that shadow can enhance a photo by adding depth of field. That corresponds with what I've noticed on some of the photos I like. Photos without shadow can appear flat. I tried using the video light to soften the shadows cast by the strobe. For a while I didn't think it made much difference. But that was only at the higher shutter speeds. As exposure time is increased the effects of the video light became much more evident and at the very long exposure times can cause the photo to become overexposed.

I also have found the macro setting not very useful with my S95

After pouring over this thread and a few others related to the Canon S95 and S100 I too pulled the trigger on a new kit with the S100, Recsea housing, YS-01 strobe, and BigEye 165 lens.

I also went with the CHDK and Interceptors TTL script for manual mode and it made a big difference in what I was able to do! It took me a few days to get dialed into the new set-up and I found I was using the BigEye too much for the type of shooting I was doing, but by the end of the week I was VERY happy with the output. I uploaded a few shots, but here is one of my favorites - little cropping and touchup in Lightroom done, mainly sharpening of the RAW image.

I'll probably upload some more soon, but I don't think I could be much happier with the kit - except for the addition of a wet mount Macro for the next macro/muck dives.

Notices the response from Peeweediver regarding the problems I've had with the Recsea housing. I have two S100 canon cameras and tried the other one. This did not show the same problems as the other although there is still a bit of slip on the front ring control. It seems that the housing can be adjusted to fix these problems which is a good thing.

Attached are a few photos from a recent dive. I'm now using two YS-100 Strobes and two stacked lenses.

IMG_7859.jpgIMG_7861.jpgIMG_7927.jpgIMG_7933.jpgIMG_7944.jpgIMG_7966.jpgIMG_7974.jpg

What lenses have you stacked, UCL165 ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom