Finally pulled the trigger on my upgrade to the Canon S100

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Back scatter depends on the positioning o your strobe
Over or under exposure may depend on the length of your arms. What arms have you got?
I am at the end of the first diving trip with S95 in recsea housing and YS 01 all shots including macro taken in DSTTL with camera in manual or Av mode and I dont have a single photo where the DSTTL didn't produce the right exposure nearly no shots has a clipped highlight and very few with back scatter and all due to human error
There must be something not right with your set up or with your technique
Also DSTTL is driven by the camera not the strobe itself

Tried the camera and strobe out today. Wasn't particularly successful though I did get a few decent shots of soft corals. I'm a novice in the use of strobes but thought it may have been a little easier and reliable.

The firing of the flash was unreliable. Sometimes it worked sometimes not. It was worse in DS-TTL mode but the problem also occurred in manual mode. The fibre optic cable is by Intova. It had a plastic plug on the end. I pulled the cable out of the plug. You could see 2 mm of clear fibre optic cable protruding under the black cable sheath. This was inserted into the Recsea housing strobe 'socket'.

The DS-TTL mode lighting was rarely correct. It was either over or under exposed.

Backscatter is a problem with sediment in the water.

The strobe certainly adds another dimension to underwater photography and I got some pleasing results when the right manual connection was made.

What sort of "plug" was it? I use the Sea and Sea type plug on my fibre optic cables with a Recsea S95 housing because it is a nice firm connection, although I'm sure just using the bare cable end option will work as well, Recsea provide connections for both.

Foxfish, are you sure you are setting the strobe correctly? It can be tricky with the S100 so hopefully your dealer explained to you how to set the strobe correctly. Also, in TTL mode the Ys-01 needs to get a good solid transmission from the fiber optic cable. The bare cable should work fine. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions, I've used this same setup many times - Scott

Foxfish, are you sure you are setting the strobe correctly? It can be tricky with the S100 so hopefully your dealer explained to you how to set the strobe correctly. Also, in TTL mode the Ys-01 needs to get a good solid transmission from the fiber optic cable. The bare cable should work fine. Good luck! Let me know if you have any more questions, I've used this same setup many times - Scott

Dealer hasn't been much help with after sales service. I do know that the strobe TTL setting is dependent on whether there is pre-flash. While underwater both DS TTL settings were unreliable so I ended up on the manual mode as explained above.

I've since bought a Sea and Sea L FO cable, snipped off one plug and bared 5 mm of the fibre optic cable. This works well, at least on the surface, but then so did the other.

If Recsea does a female adaptor for the Sea and Sea plug I'd be interested to know. Couldn't see it on the net.

I'm also having problems with the housing front ring control which I've set to adjust focal length in the Av and Tv modes. The housing ring slips as I turn it to change the focal length. This may be better underwater with greater pressure pushing the camera against the housing. Be interested to hear if any one else has the same problem.

When cleaning the housing, the small rubber grommets used for locating the camera come out of their socket. It appears that these grommets apply the pressure needed to make the necessary contact between the camera and housing front rings.

For those who haven't had much experience with strobes, they consume a lot of power. The YS-01 has four AA size batteries and after about 100 to 200 shots they're dead. I've bought a set of AA rechargeable batteries.

The strobe is mounted on a 5 inch arm connected to the mounting plate handle. I suspect that the back scatter is a result of relatively poor visibility, distance to the subject being too great and the flash exposure being too high. I did vary the position and direction of the strobe but this did not seem to help much. As a novice I'm sure there is room for improvement in technique, but it seems clear that using a strobe is no magic bullet to solving back scatter problems in relatively poor visibility. Visibility was about 8 m.

One aspect I want to investigate further is the difference using camera internal flash, a Sola 1200 photo light and the external strobe when shooting say up to 0.3 m (1 ft). On the surface the difference is not that noticeable.

Be interested to hear the modes people mostly shoot in using the Canon S100. Seems to me that the Tv mode is best. Set shutter speed to suit the shot and let the camera sort out the aperture and ISO settings. On the surface the camera does this well.

I do get some vignetting when shooting with the macro lens mentioned above on the lowest focal length.

To date as you can imagine I'm not exactly blown away with the new setup. The ability to adjust the camera settings is a big plus and the camera is at least as good as I'd expected. It remains to be seen whether these things are minor teething problems that will quickly evaporate with more experience. Time will tell. It will be interesting in a few months time to look back on the comments and see how things have progressed.

Why did you snip the cable off?
I plug the l directly on the adapter that comes with the housing and the other side onto the strobe and is perfect
The L terminal fits perfectly into the housing adapter!

If Recsea does a female adaptor for the Sea and Sea plug I'd be interested to know. Couldn't see it on the net.

For those who haven't had much experience with strobes, they consume a lot of power. The YS-01 has four AA size batteries and after about 100 to 200 shots they're dead. I've bought a set of AA rechargeable batteries.

The strobe is mounted on a 5 inch arm connected to the mounting plate handle. As a novice I'm sure there is room for improvement in technique, but it seems clear that using a strobe is no magic bullet to solving back scatter problems in relatively poor visibility. Visibility was about 8 m.

One aspect I want to investigate further is the difference using camera internal flash, a Sola 1200 photo light and the external strobe when shooting say up to 0.3 m (1 ft). On the surface the difference is not that noticeable.

Be interested to hear the modes people mostly shoot in using the Canon S100. Seems to me that the Tv mode is best. Set shutter speed to suit the shot and let the camera sort out the aperture and ISO settings. On the surface the camera does this well.

I do get some vignetting when shooting with the macro lens mentioned above on the lowest focal length.

To date as you can imagine I'm not exactly blown away with the new setup. The ability to adjust the camera settings is a big plus and the camera is at least as good as I'd expected. It remains to be seen whether these things are minor teething problems that will quickly evaporate with more experience. Time will tell. It will be interesting in a few months time to look back on the comments and see how things have progressed.

We do have the strobe mask adapter that accepts the S&S fiber optic cable. The battery life of the YS-01 strobe is very, very good. You need to be using Sanyo Eneloop rechargable batteries.

You'll find a huge difference between a strobe and the Sola 1200 underwater :)

Reducing backscatter takes a lot of practice, you are just starting out. Do they offer underwater photo courses near you? It could be a great benefit.

The macro lens should not be used at the widest zoom position, you'll be too close to the subject, zooming in partially is a good thing.

I hope that helps! - Scott

I'm also having problems with the housing front ring control which I've set to adjust focal length in the Av and Tv modes. The housing ring slips as I turn it to change the focal length. This may be better underwater with greater pressure pushing the camera against the housing. Be interested to hear if any one else has the same problem.

Foxfish, I noticed this straight away when I first got my housing and have dived it twice and been relieved that it operates freely when diving. As for your poor vis, I wish
I had 8 metres as the only times I've been able to get out with my new set up(camera only then) the best I've had was 4 metres.
I have just connected an Inon D2000 to my housing with the Recsea supplied adapter and on land it is firing no worries and I'm itching to get in and give the strobe a run.

We do have the strobe mask adapter that accepts the S&S fiber optic cable. The battery life of the YS-01 strobe is very, very good. You need to be using Sanyo Eneloop rechargable batteries.

When I got my housing here in UK it came with a strobe mask that accepts the Sea and Sea plug without any modding

To add on Scott comment I have tested the YS01 with Ansmann eMax 2500 mAH low self discharge same concept as eneloop the strobe fires well in excess than the 200 declared and recharges in less than the specified 2 seconds with this kind of battery. Definitely worth the upgrade from a normal NiMh rechargeable

When I got my housing here in UK it came with a strobe mask that accepts the Sea and Sea plug without any modding

To add on Scott comment I have tested the YS01 with Ansmann eMax 2500 mAH low self discharge same concept as eneloop the strobe fires well in excess than the 200 declared and recharges in less than the specified 2 seconds with this kind of battery. Definitely worth the upgrade from a normal NiMh rechargeable

Good information. Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for the better batteries mentioned.

---------- Post added ----------

Foxfish, I noticed this straight away when I first got my housing and have dived it twice and been relieved that it operates freely when diving.

As for your poor vis, I wish I had 8 metres as the only times I've been able to get out with my new set up(camera only then) the best I've had was 4 metres.

I have just connected an Inon D2000 to my housing with the Recsea supplied adapter and on land it is firing no worries and I'm itching to get in and give the strobe a run.

We've got a storm over here in Perth tonight. Predicting wind gusts up to 140 km and 6 m seas so no diving for a day or two. It will be heading your way next so it may be a little longer before you can get in the water.

Agree 8m is not bad, but compared to some of the tropical diving it is not great. I wondered if using a strobe on shots out to say a metre in these conditions was just not possible because of backscatter. Sounds like with a bit of practice and technique it should improve.

Glad to hear that the housing front ring works better underwater. My fix would have been a bit of silicone sealant or similar on the surface to give it a bit more grip. Seems a bit rough on such a finely machined piece of equipment.

---------- Post added ----------

You'll find a huge difference between a strobe and the Sola 1200 underwater :)

Reducing backscatter takes a lot of practice, you are just starting out. Do they offer underwater photo courses near you? It could be a great benefit.

The macro lens should not be used at the widest zoom position, you'll be too close to the subject, zooming in partially is a good thing.

I hope that helps! - Scott

Thanks for your posts and reassurance. I'll see how the strobe goes with the current Sea and Sea cable for a while. Do you have a link to a photo of the flash mask. Sounds like a velcro pieces connected to the housing.

Back
Top Bottom