Finally !!! Wheeewww !!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt.JimDavis

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Two months ago I got my PADI book and started to study. Then a few weeks after that I got the chance to be tested and few weeks after that, on July 13th I did my pool dive and that afternoon we went for the Ocean dive #1.

It was exciting. After putting all that gear first you feel like you'll get crushed under all that weight. Then when you get into the water, weight-wise it feels a little better but then your heartbeat gets faster.

That's what happened to me after few little skills while I was settling down on my knees at 26 ft... and it happened!!! Wy weight belt slip off from my keg-belly. (God, I hate weight belts) Now remind you I've had 38lbs of led there. Of course just before I shoot up to surface I managed to point it out to my instructor what happened. He reached the bottom to get the weight belt and by the same time grabbed on my BC to stop me to rocket to the surface.
I was scared but not panicked until that second.
But when he grabbed my BC from two or three feet below me he yanked the reg out of my mout while I was just inhaling a deep breath.
Well, that was the most wet breath I ever took in my life. Then another and another. He was trying to recover the belt from the bottom and didn't realize that my struggling was because I was breathing water. He thought I was struggling to stabilize myself and not to go up.
Then I panicked. I thought that was it and I was going to drown right there and right at that moment. I thought for a second to myself " at the age of 51 and with an out of shape body, why in the world you didn't get into another hobby you idiot, now this is where it all going to end".
But then with a miraculous move I shoved the reg to my mouth and hold it there by applying pressure on it and poked my instructor on the shoulder and gave him the "UP" signal. Then we surfaced. I was coughing, breathless, really tired and panicked and just wanted to get out of the water. Which we did. At the surface I overinflated my jacket style rental BC but I didn't care at that moment since I took in substantial amount of watery breaths and that was it for the day. Anything floats me was acceptable. Plus a very rough surge at the bottom and rough waves on the surface was telling me that my day wasn't gonna get better after that moment.

After I went back to my boat my chest began to hurt for two days and on July 15th I went to my doctor to a check up of my chest pain. EKG and other stuff done and everything was alright. My doctor (also found out that she was a diver too) told me that I must be squezed too much and probably internally bruised myself by my BC.

She added that, yes I am overweight, and yes I am a little out of shape, yes I lack exercise and YES that it was a freak accident, but still, "she said" NOW go get certified.

Well my work schedule didn't allow me until today. But at last we were able to schedule with my instructor to do my dive #2, 3 and 4 today after a month of dive #1. They all went as smooth as possible and CERTIFIED...:D

Oh by the way, after that freak incident on dive #1 I sworn that I will never ever dive with a weight belt again and went ahead got myself a Zeagle Ranger BC, my own wetsuit, hood, boots, gloves, regulator, octo, mask, snorkel and fins and my simple computer (Veo100)

Back inflate is excellent. But the BEST part is the Integrated Weight System... Takes all that discomfort of the weight belt BS...
Plus, no pressure on my chest no matter how much I inflate and I was able to hover or swim horizontally very easily which I was struggling with the other rental jacket style BC.

One more added plus is that I met Dr. Bill in person right after my last dive. That was an added pleasure to the one of the most memorable days of my life.

Got my boat! (actually staying on it )
Got the right place! ( working at Catalina Island which is one of the best dive sites in SoCal)
Got the equipment! (limited but enough for now)
Got CERTIFIED !!!:D

Now, gotta dive!!!:D

Well that's it folks!!!

Last edited:
A NOTE to those of you who are planning to get certified friends:

I know it was discussed to death here and argued a lot about " IF IT'S A GOOD IDEA or NOT for a NEWBIE to HAVE THEIR OWN EQUIPMENT?"

Well in my case buying upfront and using my own stuff made a DAY/NIGHT difference.

I realized that I was getting more nervous not because if I could perform the upcoming skills but if I will find the right button, snap, zipper, cord, hose, etc...
It wasn't a nice feeling to struggle to find the right stuff on you while you're wearing a very unfamiliar outfit with too many things dangling all over.
Now on top of it add that you are trying to do these 35-40 ft below the ocean surface.
It becomes nerve-wrecking. Not un-managable though. But not comfortable either.

But, donning my own stuff gave me confidence, comfort and familiarity. And when you minimize the struggle with the equipment you're wearing, it becomes much easier to focus on the skills and think them thru and perform them successfully..

Again, I am NOT telling this as an advice, just pointing out my personal experience. Yours may vary.

Last edited:
Welcome to the sport Capt. Jim- and congratulations on conquering any lingering fears and getting it done. I actually had a similar experience on my first check-out dive, in my case the reg went into free flow on the reg removal drill. I couldn't get any air off it, and the DM next to me crammed his octo in my mouth, but he did it so hard he was pushing the purge, and I started choking- ended up rocketing to the surface thinking I almost died! LOL. I too got my own gear after that and was damn glad to have it. Of course like 90% of everyone elso on here, I no longer dive any of that original equipment- but hey it's all about what makes YOU comfortable at the time. Way I see it, if you are able to dive better and more comfortably, then this gear is serving it's purpose. If later you move to a DIR rig or something, then you will have good experience with other equipment and some advice to share on here like everyone else!

Thanks and exactly..I am not driving my first car (a 72 VW bug) which I learned to drive with...
If I end up diving regularly and get different courses and after sooo many dives if I end up upgrading/changing some of my equipment so be it...
At least I could get that point in comfort and confidence.
I am and will enjoy the whole trip, not only the destination.

Thanks and exactly..I am not driving my first car (a 72 VW bug) which I learned to drive with...
If I end up diving regularly and get different courses and after sooo many dives if I end up upgrading/changing some of my equipment so be it...
At least I could get that point in comfort and confidence.
I am and will enjoy the whole trip, not only the destination.

Exactly, I guess it would be "cool" to have bought exactly the perfect gear the first time, but that doesn't make you very well rounded. Not to slam anyone with this, but even though I do now dive a DIR configuration, it's hard to take a guy seriously who has only dived one set of gear who says, "This is the best and only way to dive." My response is "Yeah, and hamburger taste great if you never had steak." It is all part of the journey, and I wouldn't change it a bit, either.

My doctor (also found out that she was a diver too) told me that I must be squezed too much and probably internally bruised myself by my BC.

She added that, yes I am overweight, and yes I am a little out of shape, yes I lack exercise and YES that it was a freak accident, but still, "she said" NOW go get certified.

:rofl3:

I love it!

Good for her and good for you! Welcome aboard!

One of the things about going through those "awful" experiences it that is builds confidence. That confidence can translate into life-saving skills when a real emergency comes up. being able to keep a cool head is invaluable!

Starting out in Catalina ... how spoiled! :D
Happy for you!:wink:

Congratulations Jim... nice to meet you out at the dive park today.

Good job Jim. Glad you made it!! :p FYI.. I'll be at the dive park on the 29th to add to my cert collection... :p

Good job Jim. Glad you made it!! :p FYI.. I'll be at the dive park on the 29th to add to my cert collection... :p

Show off:D

I will be working on Glass Bottom Boat that day... Stop by and say "hi". Boat called SEAVIEW and it is at the end of the Green Pier.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom