Find the cheapest plane tickets, again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Being an active Scuba divers often requires lot of travel, at least for those of us who don’t live close to good diving areas, and it was fortunate for me that I was already well traveled and experienced in the skills – at least compared to most West Texans. Exp: “Where’d y’all go on vacation?” “Oh, we drove down to Dallas, then San Antonio.”

I try to make my skills available to family and friends, and – my brother had known for a month that he and his wife wanted to fly to Jackson Hole WY on July 15 to see their daughter, but he didn’t call me until 36 hours before the cheapest ticket deadline. Jeez, Louise. I didn’t want him to have to pay too much though, so I promised to get on it as soon as I could.

Mid-week mornings are the bet times to book plane tickets, but it was already noon, and I was still working in the field, so I just started calling the two airlines that serve West Texas and Jackson, checking possible fares from Lubbock and Amarillo. It’s a seasonal destination, with few flights, and the best I could find of the possibilities was $658!, so I put that on overnight courtesy hold. It was a busy day at the office, and I wanted to post here some, too, so I didn’t get to shopping the sites until night. By then, the lowest was no $886 with other possibilities to $1200+! “Okay, I have the print outs. Let me call around in the morning, after some courtesy holds are released and inventories replenished.” I did that, and all of them had gone up $20.

One problem with internet plane ticket shopping is that it checks origin to destination fares only, so I then tried one more trick – breaking the fare in Dallas-Ft.Worth? $597 each – sold! They were at the hospital at the time, she in OR actually, but that went well, too…!!

Since he flies maybe once a year, I typed up these for his possible use…

Suggestions & Ideas

Call American on the way to the airport each way – to confirm your flights & on-time status, and inquire for gate numbers & terminals in DFW. (You may have to change terminals in DFW.) 800-433-7300. Every time their compute asks a question, say “Operator,” and you’ll get a real person in three tries. At the Lubbock airport Shelter Park, make a U-turn to the right after entering, then park in the reserved area, and tell them you’re my brother.

Luggage: You are allowed the following at no extra charge:

Two 50# checked bags each, unlocked. Be sure to put you pocket knife is in one of these, or you’ll lose it at the security entrance. TSA approved locks are available for checked luggage, but they don’t seem to work well in the real world. The bags will go to a TSA agent in front of the counter after you check in, and he will tell you that you can go to the gate, but don’t. Watch him go thru your bags, and then ask him to secure the bag’s pockets with cable ties (enclosed) to discourage pilferage. If another TSA agent opens them en route, he is supposed to insert a notice and replace the tie. Also a good idea to tie orange yarn to them in several places, so they will be easy to identify.

One roll-on bag each, in which you should pack all clothes and other items legal to carry-on that you would want during the first 36 hours in case the airline delays your bags. You can and should lock this bag, as you have to gate check it when you board the regional jet between Lubbock and DFW or return, then reclaim it by the plane when you get off. Also a good idea to tie orange yarn to it in several places, so someone else won’t grab it by mistake.

One small back pack, in which you carry everything you want on the plane and everything you really must have, including meds. Also carry a pair of blunt scissors (enclosed) to cut the cable ties on arrival.

You have lousy seat assignments: Sorry, it’s the best I could do on short notice. Ask for changes to Emergency Row when you get to the airport, where an agent can confirm that you are able bodied.

On arrival at DFW
– each way, you’ll be met by a Greeter Agent. Ask him for a golf cart ride to your next gate; you’ll glad you did.

No meal service: Pack your favorite snacks in your backpacks, even a sandwich to eat with the drink service offered. I like equal parts of mixed nuts, raisins, and M&Ms. I also carry a travel pack of tissues and one of Wet-Ones.

I'm confused - this appears to be a personal note to your brother. The info listed is for American Airlines (I guess); parking at Lubbock airport and other such information. I'm not sure how the info pertains to scuba board - even in general travel discussion.

Becky

nauifins73:
I'm confused - this appears to be a personal note to your brother. The info listed is for American Airlines (I guess); parking at Lubbock airport and other such information. I'm not sure how the info pertains to scuba board - even in general travel discussion.

Becky

Becky:
I was wondering the same thing. Don did you mean to send this to someone? If so, I can delete it.

Oh, I included it just so someone who has traveled little might benefit from some of the suggetions. Sorry if it seemed stranged, but - that's me.

I know that times are tough for Travel Agents, but I wouldn't mind paying $25 a ticket if I had one local who'd do what I did for my brother. I took him Prinouts on 3 choices, and a Printout on the car I'd booked for him, then told him I'd check again for the best deals in the morning. Having seen the choices on paper made it a lot easier for him to understand...
:wink:

One hint I really wanted to present, but did not really explain well, is that internet ticket shopping will give the shopper point to point prices only. If there is a plane change required, try breaking the fare - that is, figure the price from Lubbock-DFW + DFW-Jackson, and see if the total is less than the point-to-point...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom