finding asl(america sign language)instructors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aslscuba

Registered
Reaction score
any chance to search for asl (America sign language) instructors from this forum? if not then, at least interpreter who is familiar with scuba. i am new to this forum community. also, i wanted to learn about scuba if possible to get certification later on? thanks in advance....

google:

asl site:scubaboard.com (or asl instructor) for some links/references.

Seasigns is another option.

I would suggest local colleges/universities, deaf service centers, and adult education classes.

I'm a certified interpreter and have my Advance Open Water. I'd be more than happy to help you out in any way I can. I'll send you a PM.

and Welcome to diving!

Welcome aslscuba,

Don't know where you are located, but if you are near the Washington DC area, I know Gallaudet University (which is a deaf university) offers a PE scuba class. I believe you get certification with it but not sure which agency.

Yes please do add where you are so that someone can help. Try HSASCUBA.com, they specialize in adaptive diving. ASL will not be listed on the site, but when you contact and instructor you may find one who knows ASL or has an interpreter available. I am an HSA instructor. My Uncle and Aunt lived with us for a few years and they were deaf. They are gone and I am quite rusty at the moment but I imagine we could get the job done. My niece took ASL in college and is proficient and could interpret. Underwater the important communications are already signed.

One point that must be emphasized for safety is with a diver who is deaf to remember that the surface the dive continues on the surface too. When swimming out to the dive site and back to the boat contact with your dive buddies must be maintained. Hearing partners do this unconsciously by talking. So the divers must make eye contact to ensure their buddy is not in trouble. If you see people waiving and/or pointing, make contact with buddy, they could be trying to tell you something.

The other challenge in teaching deaf divers is in the pool and ocean getting them to stop talking amongst themselves.

any chance to search for asl (America sign language) instructors from this forum? if not then, at least interpreter who is familiar with scuba. i am new to this forum community. also, i wanted to learn about scuba if possible to get certification later on? thanks in advance....

I see that you are in Maryland. I'm an interpreter in Northern Virginia. I'm also at the National Aquarium every other Saturday. PM me.

Last edited:
@ naibdiver1, yeah, several commenter ask me, where i live so, i update my profile in hope it lead something... I'll pm you soon,

@randykiw, thanks for inform about gallaudet. i will check out if they accept non-student to take the class

@diversteve, thanks for the link to seasigns, it was interesting how they help/teach diver to learn of how to communicate underwater. for me, i won't need that much as i already knows asl however, at least i can learn something from seasigns for scuba communication specific for other to familiar with this instead asl.

I found this thread thro the search feature. I USED to know alot of ASL but thro disuse have lost it. My husband and I are now working on learning it together so communication can be much more in-depth at depth.

Thanks for the seasigns link. Ill be looking at that as well.

if you didn't find anything, let me know... I have basic ASL--enough to certainly do pool work if you don't mind some finger spelling here or there... and these days with the online course, it's really possible to skip most of the in-classroom-sessions and still get a good scuba education.

We've just opened a new shop in DC called Blue Planet Scuba (Blue Planet: Scuba Diving Classes in Washington, DC - Home) so check us out!)

PM me if you want more info

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom