Finding the reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lobstah Slayah

Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, so I'm in my kayak, got my gear. Paddle out. How do I find the reef if I don't have a sonar or GPS unit? This is starting to get expensive! lol

Are you going off Miami or Fort Lauderdale?

Here's a thought, go out and snorkel, dragging the boat behind you. When you find a cool spot, hit the "mark" button on your GPS.

I know they make depth sounders for yaks and that would be awesome, but I don't have one, I've done great with my snorkel then "mark" technique.

Come dive with Kayuba. :)

I haven't been yet. I bought the kayak but left it at the shop until next week when I get back from out of town. I only have a land based GPS unit. I think it only has roads on it. I usually dive off of a boat or at L.B.T.S. and once at Dania. I live in Cooper City. I hope to go Yak diving with you some day Debby! I've been to the Kayuba site but don't know how to contact anyone from there.

Well, you've contacted me now! :) I believe that waterproof GPS units are pretty cheap now. BUT I highly recommend that you make your first few kayak dives with another experienced dive kayaker. They will know the spots. Lots of Kayuba-ers just use building lineups to find their spots but I love my GPS.

It is a great sport!!!!

TM-- I have done lots and lots and lots of shorediving. Typically I would take a land reference and swim out from there. Assuming you are diving during good visability days-- The light blue is sand the dark blue something else. The fisrt something else is going to be rocks with brown stuff on them. The second dark blue is reef to dead reef pretty cool--- the third dark blue is the Candy yummy yummy candy. Nice ledges and critters to see. Here in Fort Pierce dependant on where you are that is around to 800 ~ 1200 yards out. Swimming out 1200 yards then N/S 1200 ards then back 1200 yards is not a fun day. I am looking foward to yaking out diving and yaking back!~!

If you find a great spot you can shoot to compass points and find it again. You have to be an advanced compass user though. "The pointy thing is North" will not get you there (plagrized from OWSI Haldey Kilough)

I recommend FM 21-26 Map Reading and Land Navigation from any surplus military store.

Also if you ever want to drive a tank, fly a F22 Raptor, build an IED, or otherthrow a third world country they have Field Manuals on those topics as well!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom