Firefox 3.5.2 problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
All of a sudden, as in the past couple of weeks, I've been having problems with Firefox displaying headers and such on SB and on my homepage (Excite.com). The first time it did this I ended up uninstalling and reinstalling FF -- everything worked fine until again, this morning. FF will display some parts of the page but not others.

IE displays everything just fine, but when I open a new tab in IE, Firefox grabs it.

So, two questions -- Suggestions on what might be going on with FF so as to not properly display pages?

How do I "untell" the 'puter that FF is no longer the default browser -- so if I want to use IE, I'll be allowed to continue in IE?

Thank you.

What operating system are you operating on? What was your last update, etc.

I've had no problems with FF 3.5.2 (yet). It could be something other than FF.

To partly address your query about setting IE as default, you should be able to do it from within IE. Specifics probably depend on version. For example in IE 6 (I'm sitting at my old computer):
To reset Internet Explorer settings
If you installed another Web browser after installing Internet Explorer and Internet Tools, some of your Internet Explorer settings may have changed. You can reset your Internet Explorer settings to their original defaults, including your home page and search pages, and choice of default browser, without changing your other browser's settings.
1. On the Tools menu, click Internet Options.
2. Click the Programs tab.
3. Click the Reset Web Settings button.

edit - Alternatives include:

When in the Programs tab, check the box that says "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser". Exit and re-enter IE.

Or from outside IE, go to Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Set Program Access and Defaults button

Last edited:
OS -- XP sp3

Resetting IE -- for whatever reason, it won't reset -- FF remains as the default browser

I'm quite certain that a video editing program I downloaded has done something to upset the apple cart. I've uninstalled the program (which was to be used to convert videos to upload to my Touch). I'm going to uninstall FF again and see what happens.

Sigh.

Edited to add -- For some reason IE7x was coming up instead of IE8x -- and now it is IE8x and working just fine (but with FF uninstalled). I'll stay with IE until, and unless, something else starts messing up or I come up with a really good reason to give FF a try on this computer again.

(Note, computer -- several year old Acer notebook -- looking to upgrade the hard drive because this one is running at about 85% of capacity.)

Last edited:
FWIW I've not had any trouble yet with FF 3.5.2 on XP. It seems much more stable and less piggish than FF has been in a long time. (It doesn't seem quite as good on my Mac now though.)

I avoid IE like the plague, just because.

Using FF 3.5.2 with Vista Biz & no problems...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom