Fireworks on the Morrison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

vlada

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
It was late afternoon of July 1, when marvintpa and I finally decided that the holiday just would not be complete w/o a nice long dive on our usual 'home wreck' - the Morrison

Getting to the parking lot, we saw that is it was unusually busy even for a holiday - there were cars parked on both sides of the road. Being natuarally stubborn and not really wanting to drive home or to Big bay Point, we went into the parking spot, and surprisingly, found the spot in the first row that was vacated seconds before us - that decided it - we were going diving

The reason for hundreds of people soon presented itself - people were collecting donaitons somehow related to the fireworks at 10 pm that day

Getting suited up provided a lot of entertainment for the crowd. By the time we hit the water, there were few dozen people watching

We had a nice hour-long dive. Played with the cameras and swam around the line. The viz was worse than the last time when i did not have a camera, but better than usual - about 25-30 ft. Water was nicely warm at 55F going to 52 further into the lake

When we finally surfaced, the number of people seemed to have multiplied - it is a funny experience to be walking to your car in your full scuba gear trying not to drop the fins or the camera (and defenitely not looking your Sunday best) with hundreds of people around you wondering where we came from and what were we doing there?

By the time we got out of our gear, it was 9:30 and we had a spare roll of film left, so we decided to stay and watch the show - it was quite good - my pics do not do it justice

I was offered a seat on a cruiser in the bay to watch the show
I had to work DRATS there aint no justice eh!!
You got both a nice dive & the fireworks

That is perfect! A dive and fireworks....My kids enjoyed the fireworks....I was busy changing a flat tire and watching sparks of my own....

Cool pics... did you by chance see any of the show while you were underwater? That would make an interesting pic... provided the vis is good enough...

boney:
Cool pics... did you by chance see any of the show while you were underwater? That would make an interesting pic... provided the vis is good enough...

We thought about this - that would have meant getting out in the darkness with no clear pass to the car because of number of people - just too hard logistically

vlada:
We thought about this - that would have meant getting out in the darkness with no clear pass to the car because of number of people - just too hard logistically
Were there also lots of boats on the water? That might have made things difficult also.

Groundhog and I were ascending at BBP when the people on the dock were shooting their firworks. We weren't able to see the Barrie fireworks but even the small fireworks looked very cool from under the water :D

Yeah and judging from the boat traffic to Barrie during our first dive and just after our second (night) dive, I would not have wanted to be anywhere near the Morrison (unless of course that was too close for boat to where they were firing from) under all that. Especially if you wanted to get close enough to the surface or actually hit the surface to take pictures.

Warren_L:
Were there also lots of boats on the water? That might have made things difficult also.

The area around the Morrison was directly in the fall out zone form fireworks, so the boats were kept much further away than the outlet pipe.

When we dive there in the summer, we always treat as an overhead dive in any case

Back
Top Bottom