Fireworm variations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Frank O

Contributor
Reaction score
While diving and snorkeling in Roatan during the past week, I came across a number of fireworms. Most were the bearded type such as this ~4-incher:

Bearded fireworm

However, we saw one creature on a night dive that I'm still scratching my head over. Unfortunately I didn't take my camera on that dive, so I don't have a picture of it. It was much larger than the other fireworms we saw -- maybe 10 inches or so -- and was quite dark (I'm remembering it as almost black). I remember numerous segments, but am not remembering any beard-type fringing. It was moving at a moderately good speed, and I remember two little poking-out things on what appeared to be the head end (don't know the terminology here -- sort of like what on a nudi you'd call rhinophores).

I see that Humann's Caribbean invert book says some of the fireworms can get up to a foot in length, but I'm not seeing any there that are as dark as I'm remembering this one. Does this description suggest anything to anyone? Thanks for any input.

Thanks for the comments, Leslie. I looked at those links and didn't see anything that rang the bell.

I apologize for my description being somewhat vague; the salient points are (a) ~10 inches long, (b) dark coloration (almost black), (c) very distinct segmentation -- almost like a series of linked flattened spheres, (c) two dark, skinny head appendages (feelers or whatever), and (d) freely moving (not anchored in any way).

The single feature that stood out to me was that it was very dark compared to most of the other worm pictures I've seen.

Sorry, still way too vague although understandable under the circumstances! Two head appendages is the wrong number for all of the big free-living worms* I can think of so maybe you couldn't see all of them? Could it possibly have been a cucumber of some sort with 2 of the feeding tentacles extended?

*worms = polychaetes

Either of those alternatives sound plausible. Re the first, do any large, dark free-living worms found in Roatan come to mind? Re the second, this was in a shallow lagoon where I also noted a couple of big donkey dung sea cucumbers, so I suppose it could have been a baby one of those -- though it seemed a lot more spry that the cukes I saw.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom