First BCD for DM. Help!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alexx007

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Hey all,

I am currently looking into buying my first BCD. I've been working as a DM for the past few months, and have just been using my dive shops equipment, but I'm hoping to freelance at other schools during low season here, so I'm trying to find my own BCD. I've been reading numerous reviews on Leisurepro.com, but it just leaves me boggled.

I've looked at a few of the travel style BCDs, such as the Cressi Travelite, but I'm not moving around too much at this time, so not sure if that's my best bet.
I would also prefer a weight integrated BC, but will consider others.

Hit me with what you guys think, preferences, and opinions! Any help is greatly appreciated :)

Think the first question should be: What do YOU prefer,what have you been using at the shop?

We know you like integrated weights (personally I like using a combination of integrated and belted,no massive loss if part of your weight suddenly drops)

Most folks prefer the BP/W setups,i'm very comfortable with my Jacket BCD,it's all about what you find most comfortable and best for yourself

My everyday BCD is a back inflate ScubaPro Seahawk, I use this in quarries, lakes and the ocean.

When I started working as a DM, I bought a second BCD, a ScubaPro Glide Pro that I picked up at a discount when they upgraded to the Glide X. I bought this to protect my Seahawk from chlorine in pool sessions. I also like that I'm using a jacket style like the students generally are; it makes it a little easier to show them where everything is (dumps and whatnot).

The real question is, what are you comfortable with and what do you normally use?

As far as weight integration, I generally find its much more comfortable to use the weight pockets. I only use a weight belt if I'm diving in a drysuit.

I'm most comfortable with a jacket style BC, as that is basically all I use. I've done almost all of my DM training and work with the basic dive shop BCs, like the simple Aqualung one. I've tested a few of my friends, such as the Oceanic Hera, and absolutely loved it. Unfortanutely that is out of my price range. I'm looking to spend less than $300!!

I use an ancient jacket BC with a weight belt. I use a couple of trim weights if needed. I prefer a weight belt because I like to be able to demonstrate using the old fashioned belt. I like using an old jacket that I don't worry about in the pool.
A lot of dive shops have great sales at this time of year. They sell their rentals yearly and you can get some awesome deals.

Some shops require that their DM's/Instructors use gear by brands that they sell. If you're planning on using this with the shop that you've been working with, this is something to keep in mind. If you're only looking for a BCD for freelancing and use shop gear for working with them, that's a whole other story.

The point about shops requiring gear they sell is a real one.

Where have you been doing your DMing? Your location says Canada -- If that is the case, there are much better options than bulky jackets. You are wearing as much as three pounds of lead just to sink your BC! Even if your shop insists on a "standard" BC, you can pare it down to something more streamlined and less padded, and cut weight off what you have to haul around.

Also, if you are diving in Canada, think about the implications of using a weight-integrated BC. When you pack as much weight as we need to use into a BC, you have a very negative rig -- should it even fall off the boat, it's GONE. Should you ever have to take it off to adjust or repair anything, you're going one way and it's going the other. Splitting weight up into some you wear on your person and some you put on the rig often makes better sense. (And it's also true that a lot of BCs aren't designed to CARRY the weight that cold water divers need, so the retention systems on the weight pockets can be sorely tested -- and sometimes fail the test!)

I just got a 'used' Scubapro with air2 from Beaverdivers and like it a lot so far so far. Rugged. Heavy for traveling though. Was in truly almost-new condition. Advert on scubaboard.

Your free-lancing will, to a certain extent, be at the mercy of the Instructor/other shop as to what they use. You're comfortable in a jacket-style bcd and your point that it makes relating to students equipment very easy... which is oh so true.

I usually fun dive with an AL Axiom with I3 system and use another Axiom with a standard inflator for Confined Water sessions.
Students can see and better understand what I'm doing with my hands during descents and ascents, etc.

Same reason I asked my DMc folks have a Yellow Hosed Octo even if they have an Air2.

There are those folks here that will bark-bark that a BP/W is the cat's meow but I must agree with your logic.

I'm currently working in Thailand, and no shops that I know of here require certain brands. So that is not too much of a concern. Maybe in the future when working in Canada, but for now I'm open to anything really.

My friend did tell me he rarely uses his integrated pockets now that he's an instructor. I'm not planning on doing my IDC anytime soon though, I just fell in love with how comfortable integrated BCs are... Maybe I should be more open to non-integrated as well..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom