First boat dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hoochykoochy

Registered
Reaction score
In an earlier thread I got some good replies on what to ask the dive co as this would be my first boat/ocean dive.

Now to all you experienced divers, what sort of thing am I going to expect. Kind of a stupid question, but not having done any ocean diving I am curious.
I don't necessarily mean water temp/vis etc as this would be peculiar to the area I'm in, but just the whole difference between ocean and lake/quarry???

It always struck me as strange that you get no ocean dive training with OW (unless its an ocean dive centre) yet I can go diving in the sea, with currents/tides etc

Now I've always been very comfortable and confident with the sea, having been on my dads boats all my life, but I'm still a little "twitchy" about what I'm going to be like when I actually get to dive there.

The ocean will be Atlantic, off the west coast of France.

Originally posted by hoochykoochy
... Now to all you experienced divers, what sort of thing am I going to expect. Kind of a stupid question, but not having done any ocean diving I am curious. ...

Honestly? A bit of panic - as in "what the H*** am I doing?" and a whole lot of "oh wow, oh wow, oh wow":)

I still remember my first experience - that's what I felt. But the "oh wow's" sure out ranked the "panic". Feeling free in the ocean without seeing land, dropping into the blue water, slowly descending to the wreck. An awesome experience.

I still get the "oh wows", and hope I always will.

I had never taken a boat dive in my OW class either, as my teacher was a beach diver. What will be different is that you will be gearing up on a moving boat & will need to balance yourself as you don fins & prepare to Giant Stride off the gate.

Navigation must include counting your kick cycles because a general idea of which direction the beach is on your compass heading could cause you to pass your boat in the opposite direction. Take your time with your buddy on the surface before descending to make sure you agree which direction you plan to go.

The current could pull you one direction or the other upon ascent, and you may need to swim perpendicular to it t grab onto the line & work your way to the swim step. Take your time & let the waves lift you onto the step. Remove your fins & hand them up to the divemaster who will assist you up the ladder if you need it.

If this is your first time in salt water, you will need to adjust your weights; you will need a couple pounds more. I hope you have a nice time in France. I have never dived in Europe before.

Remember that currents in open water can change unexpectedly, so invest in a safety sausage in case the currents get to strong to make it back to the boat (very worst case scenerio). When you get in the water, if there is a current start your dive swimming into the current and let the current carry you back to the boat.

Best place to wait for the ladder is underwater at your safety stop. If you surface and try to swim to the ladder, the waves could make you very nauseous (they do for me!). If you have to stay at 15ft for 10 minutes waiting for the ladder to be free...thats fine. Longer safety stops are a good thing!

Once you get to the ladder from underwater, grab the bottom rung and ride it for a few seconds to get a feel of the surface conditions. If the water is really rocking, don't take your fins off until you head is above the surface and you are kneeling on the bottom step. And don't let go of the ladder...always hold on with one hand. Don't take your reg out of your mouth or your mask off until you are secure on the ladder and on your way up.

Most important, listen to the dive briefing. The Captain or divemaster or who ever is giving the briefing knows the site and conditions and can give you some helpful tips. If you are uncertain, talk to the Captain or boat crew and ask lots of questions.

And, even more important....HAVE FUN!!!!!!

HoochyCoochy

You don't say what type of diving it will be e.g. is it a wreck dive or a reef/outcrop dive?

Descending to a wreck in the middle of the ocean will be different to entering the water by an islet/rock or above a reef. The latter give you visual references by which you can navigate.

Whatever it is I'd make sure you are diving with someone who knows the dive site. If you're diving with your buddy and neither of you know the dive site I'd suggest you make sure you are accompanied by a DM who knows the site.

Just as you would for any dive make sure you have an agreed plan before you dive, and stick with it. Ensure you understand, as Art.Chick advises, what currents there may be and how you will find the boat. As Scubabunny suggests a safety sausage is a must.

If you prepare properly you'll feel confident about the dive even though to a degree you'll be stepping into the ughknown!

Have a great time and let us know what the diving is like. Since, like you, I live in the UK I'm interested in decent diving in France.

Best of luck!

Regards

Thanks a lot everyone, there were some things I'd not thought of. I'll definitely be getting the safety sausage and paying extra for a DM to buddy me if poss.

Welshman - I'm heading there 21/6 til 25/6 so as soon as I'm back, you'll all be the first to know about it.

Cheers again

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom