Question FIRST BONAIRE TRIP

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am currently planning on a dive trip to Bonaire

1. What gear should I bring
I'll have to throw in a plug for the DRYFOB to keep the rental car keys dry if you end up getting an electronic fob. Bonaire is known for having to keep your windows down and car unlocked (due to petty theft) at the dive sites.

So a good idea to have a plan of some kind to bring your valuables with you. There are various solutions you can find on shore diving related threads on SB but of course I love the DRYFOB since my wife Nathalie came up with it :)

Oh and like in many places, gloves are not allowed in Bonaire (in an effort to prevent touching).

Some more info:

Gear rental can be pricey. A complete setup will run about $50 a day and may not include a computer. We take everything. Two big suitcases plus two carryon. We put heavy stuff in carryon (wetsuit, reg, computer...). The big suitcases has our BCD and fins, clothes....

Plus, to me using someone else regulator is like using someone's tooth brush. If I have to use it, it getting a good cleaning.

There are wide personal differences in temperature comfort levels, so its better to know the water temp (mid 80s) than what thickness of suit other people dive. As a New Englander you'll need a 3 mil at most. If you do 3 or 4 dives a day you might feel chilly on the later dives. I always bring a hood. It takes up minimal space and adds a lot of thermal protection. You probably know this, but BON features shore diving where most of the good stuff is 50 feet or less. You are not likely to need a pony or any other gear beyond that needed for shallow rec dives. A good pair of dive boots would help with shore entries. No gloves, reef hooks, etc. I usually bring everything except tanks and weights in a checked bag that is about 46-48 pounds. Its not a "dressy" island, so tee shirts and shorts are fine and fit in a back pack. Camera gear is a separate conversation.

If any of the shops are still doing ostracod dives and you're around 2-5 days after a full moon, just do it. You won't regret it...

Hopefully everyone who replied gets a notification of this message. But I wanted to say thank you for all the responses and opinions to my questions. I definitely have a better feel for what direction I will be going gear wise and even ended up with answers to questions I didn't even know I had. I appreciate your responses and experience. Should certainly make the process a little less stressful and more enjoyable. Thank you!

If anyone does see this...are there any dive sites that you would recommend as must visits or ones that maybe felt redundant to other sites or sites you found less rewarding than others you wouldn't visit?

Hopefully everyone who replied gets a notification of this message. But I wanted to say thank you for all the responses and opinions to my questions. I definitely have a better feel for what direction I will be going gear wise and even ended up with answers to questions I didn't even know I had. I appreciate your responses and experience. Should certainly make the process a little less stressful and more enjoyable. Thank you!

If anyone does see this...are there any dive sites that you would recommend as must visits or ones that maybe felt redundant to other sites or sites you found less rewarding than others you wouldn't visit?
Personal favorites in geographical order from South to North are..

Sweet Dreams
Invisibles
Salt Pier
The Lake
Bari
Cliff
Oil Slick Leap
Karpata

I like the Hooker too, but it's not my favorite, more of a touch stone type of thing, I have pictures from our first trip back in the early 90s and I like to look for changes.

We typically do a morning double dip, either north to south or south to north, hit town for lunch. Typically a deeper site first and a shallower second, but all of the sites with a few exceptions can be well done above 60'. Sometimes we do two late afternoon/twilight, or afternoon single and a night dive, or just take it easy a couple of days.

Get a copy of the Bonaire Reef Guide, you seem like a planner so get it before you go and read up.
Screenshot_20230607-090935.png

Fave dive sites:

From North to South:

Tolo. Near Karpata, but probably the easiest entry in this area. Take two tanks, pack a lunch for your surface interval and enjoy the scenery.

Something Special. Look closely for the frog fish

Windsock. (or any of the similar sites from the Airport on South.) Have lunch at Ocean Oasis or any of the excellent food trucks (the "Lion Fish" truck is one of our go tos.)

Salt Pier. Its a working pier and will be closed if a ship is in port so be sure to plan ahead to dive this justifiably famous site. Macro life, squads of squid, a big ass green moray are just some of the features.

Enjoy!, Check out the post that I started for some more great suggestions from Board members. Right above yours.
We wore 1 mil suits and they were just perfect,

Back
Top Bottom