first dive, sea-sick and diesel fumes Help!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abucscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I Just finished my first two ow dives , once under i was fine but on the boat and at the surface i got sea sick, ive bet in boat before (sail boats /cat) and never got sick. Between the anxiety of the dives 4-8 foot chop and the diesel fumes (on land I feel sick in traffic when behind a bus!).

Its mostly the diesel fumes. that i have an issue with. Over time i will get used to the rock and roll anxiety will pass as i become more comfortable.

Are there boats that are not diesel. In ft laud area.

I would hate to do just shore diving.

Thinking about a painters mask? Has anyone ever tried this.

It helps a lot to just stand away from the diesel fumes if the boat is large enough to do that. It's usually worse after the engine is started but when you are still in port.

Part of it is as you suggest just new diver anxiety. Try some ginger tables, stay as far away from the fumes as you can, the wind usually helps. I use Dramamine but it makes some people drowsy.

Abucscuba,

Unfortunately, just about every dive boat is a diesel.
One thing that can help you is to make sure you stay topside, forward on the boat so that you can keep a visual reference to the horizon. Doing this will also help you keep away from the diesel fumes generated by the engines.

While the boat is underway, fumes should not be a problem. When the boat slows to moor, however, the fumes may cause you some uneasiness. Just make sure you try to stay upwind of the fumes.

I can't address the issue of ginger or other herbs or medicines for anti-sea sickness because I've never, as to date, been susceptible to its evil powers.

the K

First of all, 4-8 foot chop is a LOT. Think about it: some of those waves are as high as the ceiling of most houses. No wonder you were sick.

Kraken is right, unless it's a really small boat with an outboard (and I have made dives off of those), it's most likely going to be diesel powered. I once asked a boat captain why they prefer diesel engines, and he said it's due to safety: diesel is less volatile than gasoline. If you have a car fire, you can always pull over to the side of the road and get out. It's not really an option with a boat unless you have a lifeboat (which most dive boats don't have).

As others have stated, staying as far away from the rear of the boat as possible helps, but as well all know that's not always possible when the boat is pretty full. The Mythbusters show had an episode where the two most seasick-prone members (Adam and Grant) took a variety of motion sickness remedies, with the ginger tabs working the best for them; YMMV. Another one is to watch the horizon, and to spend as absolutely little time in places with little ventilation and especially no view of the horizon, in particular the head (bathroom).

However, with 4-8 foot chop, I'm not sure that any remedy will prevent it. Reduce it perhaps, but probably not prevent it.

My wife swears by ginger tea, ginger Altoids, ginger ale. I read somewhere that Ginger blocks the signals that tell you to hurl, interesting article.

I have found being well hydrated buys me a lot of extra motion tolerance.

Deal with the fumes and horizon as mentioned above.

4-8 foot seas IMO is no fun, period. If it gets that heavy I think twice about shore diving and pick the site carefully.

Obviously you will do your checkout dives where your instructor brings you. Unless you have deep pockets I wouldn't be too quick to write off shore dives. With charter fees, tipos and incidentals every few trips could payback a nice piece of permanent gear. Just a thought. Getting lots of diving in is the most important thing for you at this stage. I say any dive wrere everyone comes out fine, all the gear comes back and you learn something is a good dive. I have dove in some mundane spots and never, never came out without having seen something new or intersting, often you will see the unexpected.

Hang in there I think that the reason that the fumes bother you so much is because of the motion sickness. Not vice versa. I've seen the phoenomenon many times where a person will complain about a smell making them sick(cigar,outboard gas tanks,diesel or even bait and chum) but as soon as the boat enters calm waters the world is fine again! It makes you hyper sensitive. Try to get a spot in the bow of boats or just ahead of midships. No citrus for breakfast the morning of the dive and easy on the alcohol (or none even better) the night before.
My .02 Ed

Geeeeeeezzzzzzzzz . . .
In 4' to 8' chop my main concern would be getting BACK ABOARD the boat.
In fact, with chop like that I'd call the dive.

the K

RonDawg:
First of all, 4-8 foot chop is a LOT. Think about it: some of those waves are as high as the ceiling of most houses. No wonder you were sick.

Kraken is right, unless it's a really small boat with an outboard (and I have made dives off of those), it's most likely going to be diesel powered. I once asked a boat captain why they prefer diesel engines, and he said it's due to safety: diesel is less volatile than gasoline. If you have a car fire, you can always pull over to the side of the road and get out. It's not really an option with a boat unless you have a lifeboat (which most dive boats don't have).

I'd say the waves weren't THAT high if they were diving, at least if one measure them correct. But that's another matter.

Safety with diesel is, well, overestimated. Diesel fumes in a sealed environment may very well cause a disaster. But if you have leaks in your tanks or hoses, it's another matter. Gas will lit fire easily. Cold diesel will hardly even burn if you put a lit lighter on to it. But diesel engines are definitely more reliable in the harsh environment of a boat. And since your life may very well depend on that engine to start, a diesel is preferable in many ways.

When it comes to smell and smoke from diesel boats it may very well be because those engines are old and primitive, and the diesel is perhaps of cheap quality. Over here there's been a tremendous developement in diesel quality for the past 15 years, since 60% of all new cars come with diesel engines, and I'd say 80% of all NEW boats with inboards come with high-tec diesels. A modern low volume CDI engine will not cause much smoke unless it's really cold when you crank it. the only boats that are sold with inboard gas engines are cheap US made(!) "bathing platforms" for sunny days. -Completely useless for diving or fishing in our waters I'm afraid... :wink:

As you've been adviced, stay upwind of the exhaust. I'm crankin' the old Chevy 6,2 liter V8 outside my house every morning, in temps well below 20F these days. It's smelly! I know what you're struggling with...

You've never been sea sick until you've been sea sick on a landing craft. Apparently it is a highly contagious disease and can spread rapidly, even to those not prone to it.

james croft:
You've never been sea sick until you've been sea sick on a landing craft. Apparently it is a highly contagious disease and can spread rapidly, even to those not prone to it.

Not to mention, landing crafts are sometimes equipped with really primitive two stroke V8 diesels. Like the ones in the 113 armored personell carriers used in Vietnam. We got a bunch of those for free in our army, and they are still in operation. You should try sitting cramped inside of those at full speed! You WILL get seasick without even being on the sea... Actually, I've even been in the drink with one once. They float, and they move foreward. But I've never been so scared in a "boat" ever, and I've seen some pretty high seas close up in small boats...

Back
Top Bottom