First dive- St. Lucia or Grenada?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gryffin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all:

My husband and I are planning to try diving while in the Caribbean. Two spots that would work well for out schedule would be St. Lucia (at Ti Kaye with Island Divers) or in Grenada (not sure which vendor to go with).

I've read a lot about the current in Grenada, and am concerned that this could make for a bad experience.

Can anyone give advise on these choices, and who to dive with in Grenada?

Thanks-
Nicole

I lived in St. Lucia for a year as a dive instructor. That's where I got caught in a down current and took students to 268 feet on Open Water dive 4. I vacation in December in Grenada. Never noticed any current there the past 2 years. You may have your islands backwards. Superman's flight in St. Lucia in known for it's strong currents, that's why it's superman's flight.

True Blue Bay resort in Grenada, and Aquanauts Dive Center.

I live and work as an instructor in a little island just north of Grenada (Carriacou). Diving in Grenada is pretty good, of course I think the diving here is better! There is a real difference between the South coast dive sites, which are largely Atlantic facing and those on the west coast which are Caribbean facing. The Caribbean ones tend to be much more relaxed and often with very little current. The dive centres tend to favour the sites which are fairly close to their dive centres, unless they're going somewhere specific (Bianca C etc), so I would suggest trying a centre which is located along the Caribbean side. You can not do any worse than picking one of the three centres on Grand Anse Beach (Dive Grenada, Eco-Dive or Native Spirit). I would recommend any of them.

Of course the diving in Carriacou is something a little bit different again. Carriacou is part of the tri-island nation of Grenada and we often get forgotten about or overlooked. Carriacou means Isle of Reefs in Arawak, and for the Eastern Caribbean IMHO its hard to beat. Most of our diving is really gentle across some well protected reefs, but its the volume and variety of our reef fish that really sets us apart. We're only 20 minutes out of St Georges on the SVG hopper and if you're looking for somewhere amazing for your first experience you can't go wrong.

Gary

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom