first dive with BPW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To be fair, the Halcyon Infinity should never be confused with a BP&W. With all that back padding, padded straps with cinch straps and integrated weights it is nothing more than a way overpriced BCD. A BP&W is a simple configuartion that allows you to dive in better trim with a stability not available in a BCD. Believe it or not, it really is possible to dive without padding.

Is BP/W superior than jacket BC? I really can't tell the differences to be honest but I do love its simplicity ie. no frills.
I certainly won't pay stupid money for that. Surely "H" Infinity doesn't cost that much, C$1,100.00, in Canada.
Too much import tax on US produce!!!!!!!
That was the cheapest I could find it. Locally it was over $1400 with taxes
Were you able to take weight off? If so how much?
12 lbs of lead off
To be fair, the Halcyon Infinity should never be confused with a BP&W. With all that back padding, padded straps with cinch straps and integrated weights it is nothing more than a way overpriced BCD. A BP&W is a simple configuartion that allows you to dive in better trim with a stability not available in a BCD. Believe it or not, it really is possible to dive without padding.
it has a back plate, a wing, and a harness that all comes apart........ kinda the definition of a BPW set up no?
All the cinch is is basically a single strap so it’s easier to adjust for exposure protection changes.
“All that padding” it’s like a mm thick it does nothing. Have you dove one? Or just developed an opinion on something you have no first hand knowledge of? you can drive around in a ford pinto as well and it gets you from A-B but I like my air conditioned seats i wouldnt say its any "less" of a vehicle because its got some things that make it easier/more comfortable. the weight pockets are no different than weight pockets you would throw on tank straps.
It’s no where near as comfortable on land carrying a big single tank, in the water It was fine

Last edited:
just wanna make sure Im not "missing" something.........
For me the clincher was the difference in dry weight and the inherent bouyancy of my Aqualung Balance. My whole kit now fits in a single mesh bag. It makes schlepping to and from the boat that much easier.

@KentB while I'm not a fan of the infinity personally, mainly because of the crazy cost.

It sounds like you very much had the straps WAY too tight. There should be no restriction in the water. The straps should be loose enough to get a full fist underneath them. The crotch and waist strap do all of the "holding" the shoulder straps are there for extra support when you roll over and to allow you to carry it around on land. Think of it more like a hiking backpack for when you're in the water and you want all of the support to come from the waist.

Coming from the X-wing I wouldn't expect you to see many improvements in the water as far as trim goes because the wing on that works basically the same as in a bp/w so you shouldn't notice much of a difference there. On land you will probably notice some comfort differences due to the lack of thick shoulder pads, but it should be much less restricting in the water if sized properly.

You should be using the bottom dump on your wing to dump gas with the exception of the first ~10ft of descent and last 10ft of ascent, but if you like the pull dump, you can probably swap it over. I think they're the same threads on Tusa's bcd's.

That said, it is certainly a learning curve and dive 1 with it improperly fit isn't going to give you a good basis on what you should be experiencing. Try to get the shoulder straps nice and loose and then report back

A backplate and wing costs a third of that.
so thats a no? your thoughts are based purely on cost? ok then, keep in mind That’s CAD as well. Everything in the US is much cheaper than here hell I just saw Vancouver's new "affordable rental housing rates" are 1600 for a studio, 2 k for a 1 bed, 3k for a 2 bed and 3700 for a 3 bedroom!
12 POUNDS OFF! Dude, don’t let anyone make you feel you wasted your money. Adjust the shoulders. Kiss that BC, love that BC!
I got it with a SS plate and a 6lb STA
@KentB while I'm not a fan of the infinity personally, mainly because of the crazy cost.

It sounds like you very much had the straps WAY too tight. There should be no restriction in the water. The straps should be loose enough to get a full fist underneath them. The crotch and waist strap do all of the "holding" the shoulder straps are there for extra support when you roll over and to allow you to carry it around on land. Think of it more like a hiking backpack for when you're in the water and you want all of the support to come from the waist.

Coming from the X-wing I wouldn't expect you to see many improvements in the water as far as trim goes because the wing on that works basically the same as in a bp/w so you shouldn't notice much of a difference there. On land you will probably notice some comfort differences due to the lack of thick shoulder pads, but it should be much less restricting in the water if sized properly.

You should be using the bottom dump on your wing to dump gas with the exception of the first ~10ft of descent and last 10ft of ascent, but if you like the pull dump, you can probably swap it over. I think they're the same threads on Tusa's bcd's.

That said, it is certainly a learning curve and dive 1 with it improperly fit isn't going to give you a good basis on what you should be experiencing. Try to get the shoulder straps nice and loose and then report back
thanks! I was pretty sure I had it too tight but I definately couldnt get a fist under the straps.
I know most people use the rear dump which i sort of practiced in the house when I was trying it on but when i got in the water.......lets just say I forgot that part! thanks!

so thats a no? your thoughts are based purely on cost?
No, my thoughts are that you are paying for fluff that isn't needed. A properly adjusted backplate with a single piece of two inch webbing is comfortable to wear in warm water with only board shorts on. The padded straps and back are an additional cost that Halcyon increases.

@KentB glad you aren't afraid of the learning curve! it is very much there, and one of the biggest issues with bpw's is making sure the harness is set up properly. Especially as people are coming from jacket style bc's where you need to cinch the shoulders down pretty tight, it's tough to get used to the loose shoulders but they really should be loose enough to get a full fist under. On mine I can get my full fist under with my thumb/index touching my chest and pinky touching the webbing. It makes the rig sit a bit low when walking around, but once in the water you will be sitting on the crotch strap at the surface and it comes up to where it is supposed to be.
Once horizontal on descent, you resnug the waist strap up at your natural waist and your shoulder straps literally do nothing other than provide a place to clip stuff off so long as your are horizontal and not rolled over. It is super liberating

The dump takes a bit of getting used to if you are used to dumping with your head up and it's very weird on blue water ascents, but you get used to it pretty quickly. You also never need to "bent" the hose where the mouthpiece is facing up. You only need to get it sticking straight forward as "bending it up" only increases the amount of strain on the hose and the water coming into the wing. It's something most instructors teach incorrectly by showing the inflator going up over your head, but that's incorrect form. On ascent, you'll also learn some tricks over time to use the wing as a constant volume device where you hold the dump button and move the inflator up and down a little bit to allow you to maintain a constant ascent rate

Last edited:
Dear Kent,

I, still diving my original BC 19 years later (what a cheapskate), am comforted by your post.

;-)

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom