First Dive With My Wife

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grover48

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I have just returned from vacation on Maui with my wife. JoAn has been studying and practicing for 3 months now to become a certified Open Water Diver. She had her first pool session in January and the weather was COLD! It was 37 degress and foggy when she got out of the pool! She persisted and passed all the book work and tests. She spent hours in front of the TV watching the PADI video. She would call me at work to find the answer to questions she needed help with understanding. She wanted to do well on the tests and also to know what was happening while diving.

We had planned to finish her certification dives before leaving for Maui, but it just didn't happen. We went to Maui and it was there she finished her OW certification with Maui Diving in Lahaina. It worked out that she was the only student in the class at the time. Ryan, the instructor, was very thorough and made sure she did all the skills correctly. He did a great job and was patient with her.

Following her certification, we booked 2 dives with him as a dive guide. We did a shore dive at Mala Wharf in Lahaina. Mala Wharf is a collapsed concrete structure that rests in about 45 fsw. It looks like a collapsed freeway ramp! We saw many different species of fish and also saw a White Tip shark. The turtles were there and swimming around.

The total dive time was 55 minutes and maximum depth was 41 fsw. It was our first dive together. It is the start of a new adventure for her and the realization of a goal we had set many months ago.

Something that makes this a great accomplishment and inspiration for others is that my wife is 74 years old. She will be 75 in June. Ryan said he was amazed at her for trying and proud she succeeded in passing certification. He said he couldn't imagine his mother getting certified, let alone his grandmother!

Yes, there is no age limit on diving. We are able to enjoy the dive sport together now. It is GREAT!

Last edited:
Wow....how inspiring for the both of you...Now, don't hover around her too much, let her make her own decisions......and give her a hug for me, I am truely amazed!!!!!!!

Great story. Gives me hope that I may last a while longer. Congratulations and welcome to the addiction.

Fantastic !!!

And . . .

WELCOME !!!

The Kraken

Congratulations...........your story is so inspiring.......

My darling bride is my very best dive buddy...........

We hold hands underwater, when we are not diving with our children.........

Best way I know of to avoid buddy separation.......:)

She makes me carry her gear..........

M

Thank you for sharing that with us! Congratulations to your wife!

Fantastic. I have a mature couple in class now. Actually did a private lesson with her yesterday to resolve some minor issues. She did great with her hubby not there! They are looking for an activity they can do together. This is a great one as you just pointed out.

Congratulations to the both of you. And thanks for demonstrating that age shouldn't always be measured in years since birth. I wish both of you many, many happy years of diving together.

Wow....simply amazing. My wife and I are about to start the SCUBA journey together and this is an amazing inspiration. It is wonderful to share such things with the most important person in your life!

Back
Top Bottom