First dives - flood of memories

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JohnE

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Studying for dm now and as I review the basic open water PADI manual I recall those first few dives in the pool and open water. I had forgotten that at one point all the basic skills I take for granted now were small challenges. Sitting in the semi circle waiting for my turn to do a mask clear, putting my bcd/reg/tank together the first time.

I recall the dm hanging nearby and watching intently in the pool, me wondering what hellish thing was about to unfold to warrant that. Glad she was there though because I didn't know much at all. Pathetic but having a blast.

Two main openwater events at Hood Canal stick in my mind.

Removing and replacing mask in the cold and now silty water. When I went to blow through my nose some weird fluttering thing happened in my airway as air went out my mouth and nose - I wasn't using my tounge to block. I tried again and the same. Water now up the nose. I quickly escallated to near panic and wanted to go to the surface now. The instructor, Kurt, got me to hug a rock and all became better.

Then the tour dive after we were all done. Giant ling cod, anenomies, a wolf eel, shrimp. It went too quickly. The new dm led the dive very well.

Congratulations on making it to DM (in training). It has been almost 10 years for me since I did OW. I still remember putting my face underwater, in the pool, and hesitant to breath in. That was the weirdest feeling; to be able to breath underwater.

I also remember newbie moments. Like putting my regulator on before my BCD or putting the regulator on backwards (octo and secondary on my left, inflater hose on my right). Doh.

Had two DSD classes this past weekend. A group of kids, totally enjoying themselves and a group of mature women (the Course Director's mother and mom's friends). Surprisingly, the kids were easier to control than the women. :wink:

Ill never forget my first time on scuba gear. Walking down the slipway, getting stuck hanging upside-down when all the air went to my dry-suit legs. That first rush as the water flowed past my dodgy neck seal. Then 20 minutes of swimming around admiring the inside of my mask, occasionally being distracted by the odd bit of seaweed floating in the sediment. I walked out of the slip up to my knees in mud and truly knew that I was now living the glamorous Scottish diving lifestyle :D

Back
Top Bottom