first DLSR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, what do you like to shoot above water? It will help determine if the d7000 is worth the extra cost.

great info

A good kit of Nikon lenses above water:
Tokina 10-16mm f/2.8
Nikkor 35mm f/1.8
Nikkor 55-200mm zoom

A good kit of lenses below water:
Nikkor 60mm f/2.8
Tokina 10-17mm fisheye zoom

You could combine the wide angle glass, but there will be tradeoffs. Underwater, a fisheye lens creates much more effective images than a rectilinear wideangle lens (because there's less 3D distortion with a fisheye, and barrel distortion is hard to see underwater). Above water, fisheye lenses are much more limited in applications.

What do you want to take pictures of topside? I do a lot of wildlife
photography, so my walking around lens is the 80-400 VR.

UW, I'd also vote for 60 macro + Tokina 10-17.

There aren't a lot of housings for the D5000/D5100. There are
several now for the D7000.

I would really get a camera that will fit the top side uses first. Then find the parts needed for underwater. There housing out there for pretty much all the models. But since it will be used more then topside then underwater, I would give the priority to topside photography. Unless you are getting a dedicate underwater setup.

Another point to consider when you buy a lens for uw photography. Get a lens that has internal focus mechanism. That means the lens tube does not extend when you focus. You don't want the lens to touch the front of the port when focusing.

Lots of people have great results with the older Nikkor 60mm AF-D lenses, which don't have internal focusing mechanisms. The front element never extends past the filter threads (which don't move with focusing), so there's no worry with that lens hitting a port, but it is most definitely not an internal focus lens.

Theb reason I say topside first is to learn to use the camera before investing for diving. So I plan to take portraits; standard sceneries and work on macro. The reason I am thinking about a zoom is that I travel a lot and this way only need to carry one lens and avoid the risks of changing lens too often (dust; scratch; etc..). Maybe a wrong strategy?
In any case I really appreciate your feedback and advice. This is one of the most useful and thoughtful discussion I ever had on a forum!! Thanks a lot.

well with the lens thing, 2 lens setup does give better image quality then 1 lens with a wide range. So there is a trade off. If you were to go with a 1 lens option the tamron 18-270 VC PZ would be one of the better options. Then the sigma 18-250 OS HSM.

Just based on what your have mention you are going to shoot, not much reason to get a d7000 over a d5100 unless you need the body motor for AF series lenses. They both used the same sensor. So I would save the money on the body and put the savings toward the lenses instead. Not sure in switzerland, but nikon lenses seems to cost more then other systems in some country.

Are you set on nikon? Because your needs can be cover by a bunch of other dslr also.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom