First impressions for Suites at Key Largo: A Review.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mortis65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First impressions for Suites at Key Largo aka Key West inn and Suites at 201 Ocean Drive Key Largo, FL 33037

Finding this hotel can be tricky, closely watch the street signs and you'll find it. It appears that this property has either changed ownership or managment recently. The person at the front desk appeared to be unaware which that renovations had been completed in.

Having read some questionable reviews online, I wanted to check the rooms out myself.

The first room I looked was right by the office, and was neat and clean, and I felt my concerns go away. We decided to take a quite room away from the live music across the harbor. The woman at the desk helpfully warned us about the music.

The room we were put in was at the far east end of the complex, and as I opened the door, I was assaulted with the stink of mildew. I also noticed very briefly that the carpet was very worn, and the tile in the entry was not clean.

I returned to the front desk where we were moved to a different unit. The next unit was clean and recently repainted and had what appeared to be new carpet. We are staying there now.

On the plus side:
. Equiped kitchen.
. Working A/C.
. Comfortable couch.
. Bed looks okay, remains to be tested properly.
. Lots of drawers.
. 2 bathrooms.
. Screens on the patio. (Nice touch.)

A few cautions:
1. Check that the room is a remodeled room.
2. Doubt the counter staff, check things yourself.
3. Internet is slow, don't bother to telcommute.
4. Waterfront means harbor side.

Summary:
Acceptable for the price, but do your legwork, and be prepared with a plan B if you only get an unremodeled room.

Last time I was there (about 6 months ago) I stayed at the Hampton Inn. Clean and spacious room ... rates vary but a few dive shops can get you a decent rate. Inquire when you book your dive. I am not affliliated with any shops or hotels.

Mortis65 remarks seem right on the money. I've never been warned about the music/noise from Sharkey's; that would've been nice. Room condition and cleanliness have run the spectrum over the years, from acceptable down. So has price. A trip last month just about required our using this hotel; we paid about $150 a night. Far more than I've ever paid for that place and way excessive for what you get, IMNSHO. I think I read somewhere on the board here that you might get a walk-up price about half that when things are slow. They used to have a modest continental breakfast a few years back. (Modest is the key word here.) The beds have always been comfortable. Housekeeping is every other day. But one day there would be double sheeted blankets, the next day not. The pull-out sofa/bed varies from acceptable to Torquemada approved. The location and parking are both great. I think the owners and name have changed over the years. I wouldn't even think about taking the missus there.

Last time I was there (about 6 months ago) I stayed at the Hampton Inn. Clean and spacious room ... rates vary but a few dive shops can get you a decent rate. Inquire when you book your dive. I am not affliliated with any shops or hotels.

We stayed at Hampton Labor Day weekend. Decent place, $130 iirc

Sent from my SGH-T959V using Tapatalk

Here is a follow up:
I'm paying $99/night for 7 nights, plus un-disclosed resort fee of $10/night and un-disclosed housekeeping fees $5/night.

A note about housekeeping. While we were told upon arrival that housekeeping would only happen on Friday and on Monday, no housekeeping happened on Friday, and on Saturday before 9am, they knocked loudly on the door waking us up. I am still trying to figure out what they did other than leave their cleaner in our unit. No linens changed, no towels changed, no garbage removed. I'm hard pressed to even determine they were there, except for the rude wakeup.

Laundry; facilities are present, but the front desk does not provide change. Supplies are also not provided nor available for purchase.

Phones, they just don't work. Bring your cell.

We needed to purchase coffee filters for the coffee machine (included in your resort fee), and our own coffee.

Detergent for the dishwasher, after we got it repaired, was made available after my wife verbally prodded the person at reception often enough.

The continental breakfast is absent.

Maintenace has not replaced the burnt out bulbs in the unit, and I am loath to purchase bulbs on my own. I'm already using my dive knife as the kitchen knife, as having knives in the unit "is a safety risk".

Our end of the complex is is quiet enough for me to get to sleep, the music can be heard faintly through closed windows.

Caveat emptor. Still it is cheap in comparison to other places with a kitchen and no bugs.

You should be able to get this hotel for $99 per night or less when booked through a local dive shop.

Another follow up:
Upon checkout, I was able to speak with the new Manager, who I learned has only been there since June of this year. Interesting, he was covered in paint, from remodeling another room. I discussed my concerns about the service with the room with him, and he confirmed that they have been remodeling the rooms and upgrading as they have been able to.

After expressing my concerns with the lack of housekeeping, and the unfortunate condition of the kitchen equipment, he was very good about waving the 'resort' fees.

My final thoughts here are, I would go back here again but I would negotiate heavily on the price, and I would ensure that I have a remodeled room, and I would make sure I was willing to get basics such as salt, pepper and coffee from the local Publix.

For the price, you can easily get 2 couples staying in the room and stay out of each other's way.

Thanks Mortis65,

We have been cinsidering this place as an alternative to the condo we rent while in Key Largo. The details you provided are quite useful for making future decisions. (We do love the location of this place in relation to the boats we like to dive from.)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom