First Liveaboard trip - what to take, what to leave behind, what to know?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is a great thread. We are leaving for our first liveaboard in 2 weeks on the AC. Thanks for the great advice. From what I have heard, I need almost no clothes (shorts and T's), cash for tips and gambling, cheap sunglasses that I don't mind losing overboard, and my favourite all-purpose accessory - DUCT TAPE.

Hey Fred,

When are you on the AquaCat?

I'm on the AC the week of Nov. 3 to 10.

Best,
Bill

Enjoy Fred. We'll compare notes :)

Great!! 2 Aquacat trip reports. Pictures too please.:D

i use bulldog clips to hold towels & bathing suits in place. i'd suggest some type of squirt bottle of half hair conditioner half water to squirt on your legs before putting on your wetsuit - putting on a damp wetsuit 4 times a day takes all the skin off my knuckles by day 3. the air conditioning might feel too cool to you after a day of being wet - i brought thin long pants (like yoga pants) to hang out in after the last dive & sleep in, and ended up also sleeping in my sweatshirt jacket. a deck of cards can be fun - we had a day of iffy weather & ended up playing poker for a couple of hours. oh, and consider bringing a thumb drive to bring home pictures.

have a ball!

I wear a nylon skin which makes putting on the suit easy, as well as using a hyperstretch suit which is much more pliable. It also keeps my heel from rubbing the stitching in the booties after umpteen dives. The skin is dry within a few minutes of getting it back in the wind. It also slightly protects you from the wind if it's cool when you get out.

I've seen people using a plastic grocery bag on their foot to easily put the suit on too.

no way could i do that. i use a 5mil and beanie or hood, even in the caribbean or keys.

I am usually OK as long as the water is at least 78 to 80 but during certain times of the year it can get chilly and I'll carry a shortie. We are headed to Little Cayman next Friday and I checked the NOAA monitoring station there and the water temp is like 84 so no wetsuit this trip.

A big THANK YOU to everyone who posted. We are going on our first liveaboard this Saturday and the information provided was such a huge help in guiding us on what to bring, what not to bring.

We bought some plastic clips and lycra socks (thanks BAMA) and a power strip.

BabyDuck, the yoga pants are a great idea! Easy to stuff into a suitcase for those chilly nights or over air conditioned cabins.

Thanks again!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom