first liveaboard - what to definitely take / not take?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

BabyDuck

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i searched on packing for a liveaboard, but all i found was laurens trying to pack for his wife for a surprise trip last year. :wink:

so, i'm going on my first liveaboard this coming weekend. i understand i'm supposed to take more bathing suits than i think and less clothing (since i'll be wearing mainly bathing suits). but what other helpful tidbits can anyone contribute?

i'm taking some cards so we can play hold'em, but not taking the chips. we can play for change or m&m's.

i'm taking my ipod & teeny speakers. of course, i have no idea if the plugs on board are compatible & nobody seems to know. but hopefully we can have music during our poker interludes.

i'm taking my basic gear but not my hid.

i'm taking some trash bags in case anything doesn't dry out all the way.

a book or two, some jammies, some deodorant...

what else does anyone suggest? what have y'all experienced with this kind of stuff wished you had or taken but wished you hadn't?

Well the first thing is when you pack your suitcase, take out half the clothes and you will still have too many!
Don't forget the sunscreen and why leave the HID - lots of night dive usually, you want that light...

Who is it with -some have more room than others (aka Blackbeards)

'explorer ventures'.

i just think a big-azz can light will be more trouble than taking it is worth. i have a backup (ok, 2) and extra batteries.

I will try to base my experience on my Blackbeards trip to what I would bring or not bring next time.

Plugs onboard will usually accommodate the clientele, so most boats will have generators or some sort of charging station....but bring your own power bar or surge protector.

Ear plugs are a very good idea if you are in close quarters with others.

Depending on hygiene needs and options on board, sanitary/wet naps/baby wipes can come very handy!

Your own mug/glass, not sure how you like sharing glasses/mugs with others.

Some sort of deck shoes or sandals, foot fungus is not fun.

Large towel that can be used on deck for lounging or as a towel in your bunks

thanks! some of that i hadn't thought of at all!

Don't forget your cert cards and passport.

Take enough bathing suits to wear one and have one drying on each dive.

Clothes pins to hang stuff to dry - heavier the better so it doesn't blow away.

Soft sided luggage incase you have to keep it in your room

Half the clothes you think you'll need

Have fun above all else

'explorer ventures', bahamas.

i forgot to say i got some bulldog clips to use as clothespins, but thanks for the reminder. i'm gonna put a couple in my boat bag for offshore dives, too, for hanging my suit. i'm scared it'll get blown away, so i usually don't hang it & it stays really really wet in the bag, of course...

i'm getting so excited!!

Some sort of long pants and wind breaker, the weather on the water can be a lot cooler then on land. Also helps if the seas get rough and you want to stay dry.

Head gear! Hat, bandana or even a toque if you get cold.

PLENTY of sunblock!

Extra pair of sunglasses.....so you don't have to squint most of the trip like I did when my broke.

chapstick - salt water always does a number on my lips

if you have some sort of special dietary needs, or medicine that might not be on-board

sea-sickness pills - if you need them

Imodium - nuff said!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom