First low-air experience went great!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsarche

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Yeah, I’m sure that sounds weird, but it really did. I was on my 26th or so dive overall a couple of days ago, just me and the DM diving off Montego Bay, Jamaica. I’d gotten down to about 600 psi, signaled the DM, and we started ascending for our safety stop. At about 20-25 feet, I noticed it was getting harder and harder to take a breath. It took a second, but I realized that meant I was empty, even though my gauge still read about 300 psi. Anyway, I got the DM’s attention, signaled no air, and he handed me his alternate reg. I breathed off his tank all through the safety stop, then orally inflated my BC at the surface, and everything was fine.

I only later realized this was my first emergency while submerged, and that I handled it just right (or so I think). I felt pretty proud of that, and sent some silent thank-you’s to the various instructors I’ve had in my certification process (AOW).

Anyone else have a similar “good emergency” experience?

Your gauge appears to be inaccurate at the low end of it's scale. You should consider adjusting your planning pressures to account for this or try another gauge. I would also repeat this exercise on land or in the boat at the end of a dive by draining the tank down to 300 psi and breathe off the reg. Try it again at 200. It is also possible for a needle to stick. If I had a hard breathing issue and the gauge read 300 psi. I would tap on the gauge to see if it moves downward after acquiring a supply of breathable air from another source. Buddy or pony. Calm and level headed is your best first response in any dive scenario. Congratulations on exhibiting that in real world conditions.

I've put a few people through this kind of experience for training - it's about the easiest emergency you can have. Diving is generally safe and easy, but it still involves being in a medium you can't breathe. Air problems happen and you need to approach them with a cool head. Congrats on doing well on your first!

Your gauge appears to be inaccurate at the low end of it's scale. You should consider adjusting your planning pressures to account for this or try another gauge. I would also repeat this exercise on land or in the boat at the end of a dive by draining the tank down to 300 psi and breathe off the reg. Try it again at 200. It is also possible for a needle to stick. If I had a hard breathing issue and the gauge read 300 psi. I would tap on the gauge to see if it moves downward after acquiring a supply of breathable air from another source. Buddy or pony. Calm and level headed is your best first response in any dive scenario. Congratulations on exhibiting that in real world conditions.

Not my gauge - it was rented, along with the BCD.

Shouldn't you have been at your safety stop already or heading to it with 600psi? If the intent is to surface with 500psi then using 600psi as the indicator to start your ascent seems like you are cutting it close to your safety reserve, the fact that you found yourself low/out of air in this case seems like it could have been avoided had you already been ascending by the time you hit 600psi. But I gues you survived ok so you can continue to dive behind the veil of confirmation bias.

Good job keeping a level head though...that is commendable.

-Z

Last edited:
"Signaling" at 600psi at depths greater than 25' is a diaster waiting to happen and it almost happened. Irrespective of the issue with the gauge, one must "start" the ascent, and not just signal to ascend, at a much higher pressure than 600psi. I would have started my ascent at no less than 900PSI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom