first OW dive--and I hyperventilate...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

:D:D:D
did OW dives 3 and 4 today...all is good in the world. No hyperventilation, no silliness.
So now I'm a certified diver.
Now what?

***first, I'm off to Cozumel in December***

but then what?

and thanks for all the tips!

Congratulations!

Now dive, dive and dive some more. Cozumel in December? What about Chicago in October?

When you have made a few dozen dives within your comfort zone consider AOW.

Pete

Congratulations Rnees! Fantastic news.

To be honest, any diving you do in warm water is going to seem like a breeze after your course, you will love Cozumel.

I agree with the others, a wet suit needs to be snug, but sometimes, especially when you have several layers on, it can be a little too snug if you are not careful. Be particularly aware of not letting it get too tight around your neck (that'll be sure to make you feel panicked and out of breath... and more). You will also find when you get your own kit, the neoprene is likely to be softer and more elastic enabling you to breathe easier.

There was no need for your instructor to tell you this just to reassure you, stress is often started by a physical factor. Remove that factor, and you usually remove the stress.

Enjoy the reefs in Cozumel at Christmas!

Congratulations on getting past the stressor and on finishing your certification.

A couple years after I bought my wetsuit I became a little more muscular around the midsection :wink: The first dive back in this suit I got in the water and felt as though I was panicking, which I couldn't understand since I have no fear of water or SCUBA and do not panic. Once I stopped moving and caught my breath it became obvious to me that the entire problem was that it was difficult to breathe in that suit while strapped into that gear. A new suit that made more room for my enhanced physique totally solved this. Fit is very important.

Dive often, have fun, and be safe,

theskull

Back
Top Bottom