First OW dive today - Not-so-Cousteau!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flocomotion

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all - have been reading your posts and learning so much from your input, thank you! Am in SoCal, working on NAUI certification through the local college. It's a great program, but I've been having a rocky time throughout the training.

During the first pool dive, I was completely freaked out by the gear, and the instructor helped me under by deflating my BC for me without warning. That freaked me out even more, and my impulse to survive is fierce! I resurfaced several times during the first pool dive, but over the past few weeks became more and more comfortable, and could practice all of the skills comfortably.

The open water dives are conducted via beach entry through the surf at Redondo Beach. I was very wary of doing it, and now know that surf entry dives are NOT my cup of tea... We went out yesterday and the visability was horrible - I was ok with the skindiving and snorkling out past the surf zone, but during exit the mask and snorkel were washed off of my face by a big wave. Once in full gear, I got smashed by several waves and did not make it out. My weightbelt fell off in the surf. I watched as the rest of the class went out and did their first dive... it was disappointing, but I came home exhausted (and spent a lot of time reading posts here) and determined to try again today.

Today when we geared up and went down, the surf was much smaller, and the instructor helped me out past the surf zone. When we went down, there was MAYBE four feet visability, but I felt comfortable enough to do the mask clear, the reg skills, and the weight belt remove & replace. We went to 50' and the visibility was much better -- maybe 10' - saw a couple of starfish and a sweet little flounder, otherwise, just sand and the edge of the submarine canyon. I got really dizzy and disoriented at 53' and signaled to my instructor - the sensation was too freaky for this already freaked out scuba student - we ascended and I was too fast. I got a friendly tow back to shore. Exit through the surf was fairly easy, and I walked out without much difficulty.

Ahh, but the second dive - I swam out without the instructor's help this time and it was horrifying to rely on the snorkel through the waves without any visibility - just green, murky water and the sound of my own breathing, which was more like panting, and I swim a mile+ at least two days a week! But swimming must not be enough exercise for me - though I am about 20 pounds overweight, I pride myself on my strength -- so this was discouraging. Just before we were supposed to go down, I was feeling nausous and panicky and could not regulate my breathing. The regulator made a weird noise when I breathed in and though the instructor explained it all to me, my mind just couldn't accept it and panic was too strong. I bailed and the instructor had to swim back with me to the shore - this time I did not exit on my feet with diginity... it was a total turtle crawl, and then the feeling of defeat as I watched him swim back out to the other students.

Winding down my rant! It's several hours later and I'm still feeling the waves. The instructor said I should go to Catalina for an easier entry to finish up my certification in a few weeks. It would be awesome to finish and be proud of the accomplishment, but on the other hand, I could let it go and say it's not for me. I had no idea that my response would be so stressy... The whole point was to get to see the underworld...

If and when I go again, I plan to take some motion sickness meds, refuse to go much lower than 40', demand that the entry be an easy one into nothing less than 10' visibility, and that there be something to see down there! I don't mean to dis that little starfish... but you know what I mean.

$165 total gear lost to the sea goddess. My instructors are rock stars, by the way. They did everything above and beyond to help me feel safe and comfortable...

Anybody else have similar experiences and recover to enjoy diving again?

Thanks!
Flo Not-so-Cousteau ;0)

Wow, sounds like a rough time. I can see how that would be very unnerving for a brand new diver. This is just a guess, but perhaps getting used to dealing with the waves by heading out to the beach a few times and just body surfing would help. You get tossed around like a rag doll in heavy surf and may help you figure out how to deal with those waves when you've got all of your gear on.

It may not translate 100% to doing a shore dive but it can't hurt. Course, this is coming from somebody who used to body surf on 6+ foot waves when he was 12-14. I think my lungs built up a salt water immunity during those years..

Thanks , That was well written and entertaining too.
Thats one of the best parts of diving...the stories. Keep it up and you will be fine.
Always be learning and don,t push your limits too soon.
Welcome to the sport.

My recomendation is to practice some more in the pool until you feel absolutely comfortable with the equipment. Then, find a calm body of open water. I know that if budget is a concern you'll try to find the lowest-cost option which is usually a shore dive.
It might be a good idea to wait until you take a vacation to a place where the water is calm. Diving is supposed to be fun! and you're experiece certainly doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
So... take it easy and wait for the right moment.

Hey thanks for the support - I actually spend quite a lot of time in the waves... I live in Venice and love to boogie board and body surf... but haven't ducked many waves in scuba gear until now ;0)

On the one hand, the other 5.99 billion people in the world did not dive this weekend . . .you did. Congrats. And you even went back for round two after being taken to the mat. That says something about your determination in spite of your fears.
On the other hand, a student known to be struggling and then being taken down to 53 feet, through surf, on their very first OW dive seems pretty crazy to me. I'm just barely starting to move out of the newbie phase so I would advise you to sit back and let some of the more experienced folks respond to the logistics of your first dive.
I would say that as long as you have the desire to overcome the current stress, can take a step back and dive in a safer environment, and can see that you're making continual progress, this is something that you can push through. My wife had to push through some initial stress and is now growing into a very good diver.
BTW, I dive mostly in Texas lakes and 4-10 foot viz is a good day. :blinking: My 1st checkout dive was 3-4 foot viz in 57 degree water. It was a bit overwhelming for a first dive but now low viz and I are good friends.
Make your concerns and expectations known, go at your own speed, and be safe. . .and keep doing what you've done here - look for advice on this board . . .I've learned a lot here.

Hey, Cousteau's first dive may have been even worse so don't be hard on yourself! After all, he didn't even get BOW certified.

Hmm, that makes me think. I dove but wasn't certified until I moved to California in 1969. I was told I had to get certified to get air fills. I wonder if our local dive shops refused to fill the Captain's tanks when he showed up to dive off Catalina! Of course he had his own compressors on the Calypso and Alcyone.

Hi Flocomotion,

Sounds like a rough day at the office. Sorry to hear about the lost gear. If it's any consolation it happens to virtually every diver at some point, usually when you least expect it.

Surf entries can be challenging and even dangerous. I had a wave catch my weight belt buckle just right and it opened. Fortunately I walking out on exit and caught it in time. Assuming you have some hips and it was being worn right you may have not done much wrong there. It would be nice to say you should have a hand over the buckle as the wave crashes but you will soon run out of hands.

Speaking of hands.. You need to be watching the waves and if you see one coming place your hand over your mask and regulator, like when doing a giant stride and make sure they don't get away. Check your mask strap as the wave passes. A wave from behind can flip your strap up and just as you lower you hand.... the mask falls from your face and is gone in the next wave. :(

In surf I like to make my entry like dancing the tango, hand in hand with my wife. Watch the waves, pause and brace into the waves with a good stance that offers little surface to the waves. Mask. gloves and regulator should all be in place from the 1st moment of risk to the last. Once out past the surf line you can swim out with a snorkel but if the seas are high that's not much fun, use your regulator if you are getting persistent splash down the tube or the dry valve is breaking your rhythm.

Once you get deep enough to get your fins on make sure you don't get swept back in. The last thing you want to do is suddenly find yourself back in the shallows with the heavy breakers. Cross them one time each way and on your own terms.

Speaking of snorkeling on seas, I get seasick at the drop of a hat. I couldn't even WATCH my kids on the merry-go-round! Do your motion meds well in advance. For rock solid protection one the night before and one when you rise. I have been having some great results with those wrist bands that have the balls. I wear them under my wetsuit sleeve and my wife and I have enjoyed some skin-dives this past summer that I know would have turned us green otherwise. Just a thought.

It sounds like you are in plenty good enough shape to be a diver. However some of this crap is difficult and tiring until you know the techniques and know them well enough to relax as you execute on them. Once you head down the sea-sick road it's hard to bounce back with any vigor.

Last time I knew rough water entry wasn't a certification requirement and it sounds like your briefing for it did you no favors. Just roll up your sleeves and head for Catalina. I wouldn't put too much stock in the depth issue, you were simply spent but you can ask to avoid going past 40 feet if the site works for that. We'd all like to demand visibility but that's not available on demand. Just focus on your instructor and the task at hand. Dive in a smaller space and you will find plenty to see during your free swims. These dives are for training and critter density is not a prime criteria. There will be plenty of time to harass the wildlife latter. :11:

You have done the hardest part. You did make a dive despite a lot of stresses you were under. Next time you will have the benefit of all that under your belt, you will have processed the experience and stand a better shot at having a great day.

My definition of a good dive is:
1. I learned something
2. Nobody got hurt
3. All of the gear came back

2 out of 3 isn't the end of the world, especially if #2 was OK.

Pete

Hey wow... thanks for all of your terrific responses... so helpful and encouraging. I'm going to get the meds, and try to hold on to my gear!!!!! And will dive Catalina next. Meanwhile, yes, more pool training for the next couple of weeks. I learned so much today, and mostly am proud of staying within my own comfort zone... the low viz was ok as long as I was holding someone's hand. Eventually, though, it would be great to see more of the great wide yonder.

Beach entry - we put the fins on before entry, and side stepped it. I wanted to use my reg, but was STRONGLY encouraged to use my snorkel to save air. I do agree that this kind of dive for a first timer was way tough... one of the big lessons I learned is that for the cost of the gear I lost, I could have given myself a gentler first experience. But now I've done a beach entry!

Many, many tanks... I mean, thanks!
f

Hey Dr. Bill, maybe I'll meet you when I come out. Thanks so much for the encouragement. Your knowledge and experience looks amazing!!!!

Back
Top Bottom