First OW dives, went to the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jaydiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Got certified in Brooklyn in Nov '03 by Bob Hayes (fantastic instructor, ex-commanding officer of NYPD Scuba). Just got back from a Keys dive trip. Use It or Lose It.

I linked up with Jim Wyatt of Reef Divers out of Cudjoe Bay (21 miles N of Key West). We dove in Looe Key (protected as a national marine sanctuary) What a great experience. His boat holds 6 divers max. so there is plenty of personal attention. He was VERY patient with my inexperience. We dove in the morning 2 dives 2 full tanks each dive. Vis was in the 40-50 ft range. On the third and last day we also dove the Adolphus Bush wreck in the afternoon. Wow.

Can't wait for my next trip.
jay

the keys are a good place to "get your feet wet" and relatively easy/affordable. Now that you're hooked on diving you'll probably feel a freguent "urge to submerge". If possible, try to experience lots of different places like the Caribbean, the Pacific Islands, etc. etc. . You now know what Dave Barry meant when he wrote"...when you finally see what goes on underwater, you realize that you've been missing the whole point of the ocean. Staying on the surface all the time is like going to the circus and staring at the outside of the tent. " Enjoy!!

Jaydiver:
Got certified in Brooklyn in Nov '03 by Bob Hayes (fantastic instructor, ex-commanding officer of NYPD Scuba). Just got back from a Keys dive trip. Use It or Lose It.

I linked up with Jim Wyatt of Reef Divers out of Cudjoe Bay (21 miles N of Key West). We dove in Looe Key (protected as a national marine sanctuary) What a great experience. His boat holds 6 divers max. so there is plenty of personal attention. He was VERY patient with my inexperience. We dove in the morning 2 dives 2 full tanks each dive. Vis was in the 40-50 ft range. On the third and last day we also dove the Adolphus Bush wreck in the afternoon. Wow.

Can't wait for my next trip.
jay
glad you like the key's

Jay,

Glad you like the Keys. I did a couple of dives in Key Largo. First one was the Spiegal Grove. What a great deep dive. I've got to do that one again. The second one was a 50 ft drift dive at a location called Woody's. Again, a totally fun, but relaxing dive.

Again, like you, I'm definitely going to have to make another trip there.

David

Another thing that made this a great trip (my first) is that I brought my camera (Cannon S50), waterproof housing and flash. I'm still going through the shots. Lots of coral, yellow tail snapper, barracuda, I missed the shots of the blacktip shark and the hammerhead. Augie got the shot and I'm waiting for the copy. I feel that I need to go back to school and study marine life to appreciate the life around me and the interrelationships.
Jay

I learned to dive last May in the keys at Sea Dwellers in Key Largo. Great bunch of people and very one on one. The boat was docked only a few feet from the our room at the Holiday Inn. They also have a no smoking policy on the boat which was nice (Other than Ocean Divers which is a diver factory and lots of smokers. They do have a nicer boat, though, which is a Newton 48.) My husband wanted be to learn in warm water so that my first experience was a good one. Now I am hooked and we managed to get back to FL 5 times last year. Some more really great people are Coral Island Divers in West Palm Beach. Even though the vis was not that crystal clear the day we were there, but still about 60-80ft ,the drift diving was fun and there are a few cool wrecks. Their service, which they call 'Tuxedo Service' was wonderful. They don't let you carry any of your gear and have lots of goodies to eat and drink between dives. If you do the 3 dives w/lunch deal they bring you to a yacht club for lunch that you preordered on the boat so it was ready for you when you get there and sit outside overlooking all the cool boats. It was also a great time to meet all the people you were diving with.

Did you go thru Ocean Horizons at the Prsopect Park Y? The instructors there are from the NYFD. I'm doing my last pool class tonight (yikes in about 20 minutes) and I'm thinking of doing my OW dives in Fla, preferably the Keyes, possibly somewhere else in Fla. Did you feel that the pool prep was adequate preparation for actually going down in the ocean. I'm a little nervous about the transition from 8 feet of water to 30 feet.

I also feel some of my skills aren't the best and there is no way to practice them as scuba people at the Y get only Tuesday night from 9:30-11 (pathetic). Looking for some reassurance here!

I used Fantasea DIving, Bob Hayes 718-421-5547. We were trained following the PADI course. The pool time was at the Y which is on Nostrand Ave. and Ave. U. We had 4 VERY useful dives (2 dives per day) in shallow water near Mill Basin. Three of the dives were a repeat of the skills of what we had already passed in the pool. Now there was limited visibility (vis) water motion (tides current waves) cold weather, wet suit, a change in bouyancy in salt water, a rocking boat, etc. it was great! GOOD and USEFUL practice sessions, required from PADI. The last dive we buddied up and we were on our own. Just believe in your instructors and hone your skills. I just started and I am like a kid who just got his drivers license. Practive, practice and more practice.

Well, I am about to pop with excitement about my first open water dive, which will be Wednesday off Key Largo. I am fullfilling a life-long dream, a little late but so what! Florida State University has an Academic Diving Program here in Tallahassee, way up in North Florida. I am take the intro course in that and 48 of us are going down to Key Largo to dive for 3 days next week! We will go on 7 dives and do 2 wrecks, the one I remember is the USS Duane; and do a night dive.

I feel we are well prepared by classroom and pool training and we had a check out dive in Vortex Springs a couple of weeks ago.

But there is that excitement and a twinge of nervousness! I think it is likely to be windy and thus rough going on the boat, and maybe some strong currents.

They won't let us bring cameras down on this one, as there are just too many things for the instrutors to deal with already than to have all us uncertified students focussing on focussing, but there will be someone there taking pix of us anyway.

I have snokeled a lot and love to explore and learn and, well, you all know what it is we all got! Or you wouldn't be here! So, I was so glad to read of your good experience down there.

Peace!

Back
Top Bottom