First OW dives, went to the Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jay, thanks for the FYI on Jim's operation. I've always heard good things about his 6 pack, and about Looe Key; I've just never have dived it (Mostly Key Largo and Islamorada). Now it's a must do.

Semper Safe

Rick

If you want a fantastic dive experience in the Keys, Underseas Scuba on Big Pine Key (south of Marathon) is an awesome group to go out with. I've done numerous dives with them, including Looe Key and the Busch.

Thanks for the information. I can't wait to return to the Keys.
J

I just love going to, and diving in, the Keys. We usually hover around the middle Keys, but there's no Key too high or too low for me! What a great place to start! That's where I first got the scuba bug--snorkeling and seeing all those cool divers below. I just had to be one of them and now I am one!

Hi Kerstin,
I've wondered about how your classes were going, I'm so glad to see that you've hung in there and are nearing the end of your quest for certification!! You're going to do fine, you must have a lot of tenacity, and you will pay close attention to everything and do very well. I understand your nervousness about trying your skills in a new setting- I was worried that salt water was going to freak me out, but other than a little sting in my eyes once when I got a little water in my mask, I never thought about it. Also, as far as the depth thing, I think you'll be surprised that you will probably be wishing you can go deeper than you get to go! It feels great down there, not like you might think- it feels about the same as at shallow depths, that's why it's so important to keep an eye on your depth guage or computer. I can see how it would be very easy to go too deep very quickly. Controlling your bouyancy will be much easier down there than at shallow pool depths. At least it seems so to me. It was one of the coolest things when our dive group (8-10 people) all descended at the same time, floating slowly down to the sandy bottom where we began out dive... it's fun floating down with everyone hanging in the "air"...Anyway, just my 2 cents and glad to see you're still diving!
Foo

Jaydiver:
Got certified in Brooklyn in Nov '03 by Bob Hayes (fantastic instructor, ex-commanding officer of NYPD Scuba). Just got back from a Keys dive trip. Use It or Lose It.

I linked up with Jim Wyatt of Reef Divers out of Cudjoe Bay (21 miles N of Key West). We dove in Looe Key (protected as a national marine sanctuary) What a great experience. His boat holds 6 divers max. so there is plenty of personal attention. He was VERY patient with my inexperience. We dove in the morning 2 dives 2 full tanks each dive. Vis was in the 40-50 ft range. On the third and last day we also dove the Adolphus Bush wreck in the afternoon. Wow.

Can't wait for my next trip.
jay

Diving is not just for vacation trips!! Bob Hayes runs a dive boat out of brooklyn:
KAREN
Captain Robert Hayes
799 East 17th Street Brooklyn, NY 11230
(718} 421-5547
Rockaway Inlet

In addition there are other dive boats in Brooklyn. And if you don't mind a short drive there are several boats on THE ISLAND.

Join a club, Check out LIDAONLINE.com for links and info on local diving.

I got certified in July 03 and in February 04, went to the Keys to do my first post-certification dive trip.

I used Sea Dwellers and was very pleased. Their boat holds quite a few divers but one day we only had 8, and two other days we only had 5 divers. It is very convenient if you stay at the Holiday Inn, they will give you a room that is about a 30 second walk to their boat.

The staff was extremely professional, friendly, and very helpful to new divers like myself.

Some blustery weather canceled the 3-tank dive at Looe Key with Looe Key Dive Center, so I can't comment on them.

Foo,
good to hear from you!

I'm going to down to Fla the weekend of April 16th. My instructor is leading the certification dives so it should be nice b/c I'll feel comfortable w/ the group (much of my class is going). I need to go back to the pool just to familiarize myself w/ the whole process again. So, in essence, I've almost made it! I ended up going w/ contacts and foregoing the prescription mask b/c I just found out my vision just got worse, again. At this rate, I'd end up buying masks every year! Anyhow, we're going to Key Largo and the last dive is a "critter feed," which apparently involves nurse sharks. Figures I'd have to contend w/ sharks on my 4th dive ever! Way to up the fear quotient -- just kidding, I hear they're docile, right, right, please!

Nothing to worry about. No offense, but I'd guess you don't much look like an easy snack to a nurse shark. Maybe a great white, but not a nurse shark. In fact, I'd be surprised if you got them interested enough to feed. Though I do remember the first time I saw one. I thought I was the bravest person alive for taking his picture. What a great "war story" for your 4th dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom