First REAL Open Water Dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dragracer

Reaction score
Well, I've had an interesting day. I went on a 2 tank gulf dive today out of Dunedin, FL. I've been looking forward to it for a couple of weeks. This is my first actual dive in "open water". I certified at Weeki Wachee. The first dive was on a wreck, the Black Thorn, in in 85 feet of water. I pointed out to my Instructor I was supposed to be limited to 60 feet, but he said since an Instructor was present, there would be no problem. From the time I entered the water, I was uncomfortable. I was breathing way too fast, and felt anxious. My Instructor calmed me down, and we descended to 15ft, following a descent line to the anchor line, and down to the deck of the wreck. After I let go of the anchor line and swam a few feet, the anxious feeling returned, and I felt I couldn't breath. I tried to calm down, but was unable to. I signaled my Instructor that I wanted to go up. He tried to calm me, but had no luck. I rushed to the surface way too quick, but luckily, I'd only been down 9 minutes total. Once back on board the boat, I felt better, but embarrased! After everyone else returned, we went to a rock ledge 2 hours away, and I tried again. This time I had no problem at all. I dived until I had to surface because of low air. I felt relaxed, and was even taking photos with a camera I'd bought. This dive was 46 feet, and I was using a 72cf tank, and was down 21 minutes. I'm not sure what happened the first time, but I hope it doesn't happen again! :bravo: :bravo:

good report. anxiety is normal, given that this was your first deep dive in the ocean.

make sure you take an experienced buddy with you the next few times and let
them know what might happen. after a few ocean dives you will have no problems with anxiety.

as for your fast ascent, the real problem is not the bends. the real problem is pulmonary baurotrauma IF you hold your breath. you obviously didn't.

just remember that rushing to the surface like that is extremely dangerous.
make sure you keep telling yourself mentally that next time you won't bolt
to the surface like that.

otherwise, you made it, you learned, you did good.

Going from just certified to a first real OW dive 85 feet, not surprised you were anxious. Were the dive sites pre-determined for the charter or selected on the way? It's good to find out these things ahead of time and get on an appropriate trip for your skills and comfort level. If the instructor knew that you had zero experience, I don't think it was a great idea on his part to take you on this particular dive, or keep pushing you along when you were clearly uncomfortable.

The instructor should not have encouraged you to make the dive. He should have encouraged you not to. He blew it, period. NEVER let anyone talk you into doing a dive your not comfortable with. NEVER dive beyond your training and experience. You'll have more fun, see more, be able to stay down longer, and have a more memorable experience if you'll stay on more shallow dives 30-50ft. and work your way up (down). They just keep getting better and better. Stick with it and have fun.

I don't fault the Insructor at all. He didn't push me. Continuing the dive was my decision. The water was crystal clear on the first dive and vis on the second was around 50ft. Based on the conditions I would have figured the second dive would have given me more problems. I'll just keep plugging along. It's gotta get easier!

Michael Schlink:
NEVER let anyone talk you into doing a dive your not comfortable with.

The best advice you can get!

Michael Schlink:
NEVER dive beyond your training and experience.

Sorry, but ROTFL!!!

Dragracer:
I don't fault the Insructor at all. He didn't push me. Continuing the dive was my decision. The water was crystal clear on the first dive and vis on the second was around 50ft. Based on the conditions I would have figured the second dive would have given me more problems. I'll just keep plugging along. It's gotta get easier!

One of the best advices I've heard is "Slow down". It's almost always applicable. Be relaxed. Don't hurry. If you need more time to get geared, start earlier, don't rush.
DON'T PANIC!

When you get into water take some time to relax. Don't rush to go under. Lay on the surface, breathe and relax. When you're in the right mood – dive.

But rember one thing – ocean does not know what your certification level is. Limits are set by the ocean and your skill level, limits are not written on your c-card. Be careful, be relaxed, enjoy, dive!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom